Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamtorgy

Burying Retaining Walls

adamtorgy
13 years ago

I have rip rap retaining walls that I'm not very fond of and I was wondering if it's a bad idea to build new ones in front of the existing ones and just bury the old retaining walls?

I am installing a sprinkler system this weekend and I am trying to finalize mt layout.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:46937}}

Comments (6)

• botann
    13 years ago

Rather than burying the old wall, I would use the rock to build the new one. A better looking one. Those walls you have were thrown together.
    I notice your whole back yard is terraced. What's wrong with a slope? I do know some people aren't comfortable with one.
    Mike

• karinl
    13 years ago

Is that natural water (vs a man-made pond), and if so, is there a flooding issue?

KarinL

• tibs
    13 years ago

Don't bury those stones. That is like burying money. If you don't want them, someone else will either remove them for free or buy them and remove them.

• missingtheobvious
    13 years ago

Here are a few books on stonework from my list of garden reading I haven't gotten around to yet; some have been recommended here by more than one person:

David Reed's The Art & Craft of Stonescaping: Setting & Stacking Stone

Also his The Art & Craft of Stonework: Dry-Stacking, Mortaring, Paving, Carving, Gardenscaping

Dan Snow's In the Company of Stone

If you can't find these, your public library can obtain them for you through their Interlibrary Loan service (sometimes for a nominal fee).

• gibby1
    13 years ago

What type of wall are you looking to build? A segmented block wall? The answer is yes, you can bury them and build in front as long as you leave at least a foot for clean fill. If you live in an area that freezes then the fill should be 3/4 inch gravel wrapped in a fabric. The wall isnt big enough to carry any real hydrostatic pressure from runoff so I wouldnt worry about adding any drainage. I would choose a block that is at least 20lbs a piece to ensure they dont move with normal enviornmental factors and use a construction adhesive under every course except the "starter". Having said that, it would be a waste to bury such nice angular stones. Try to reuse them elsewhere or find someone who will.

• adamtorgy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The stone would be ok if they had flat sides, the previous homeowners built them out of the cheap rip rap, not the ones sold for building walls. They also built the steps out of them, so no drinking allowed in the back yard.
    The pond was one of the other surprises they left for us. It is 15,000 gallons and I have been learning a lot about how ponds shouldn't be built. I actually love ponding now, but if I would have known how much it was going to cost me...
    I am Ok with slopes as well, but there is a 21 foot difference in height on our lot and I am blessed with a Wife that loves to mow(as long as it's not too hard).

Adam