Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Need help with front of house

Lalala (zone 6b)
10 years ago

I could use some ideas for adding shrubs and perennials in a few places in front of my house. Sorry for the long post--I need lots of help!

The overview shot is first. One of the difficulties is that the house is raised from street level, so from the sidewalk you're looking straight at the beds more or less at eye level, rather than down at them. The front of the house faces south but is shaded by some trees. The center area (by front door and driveway) is sunniest. The area to the right is more dappled shade.

{{gwi:46971}}

1) Fill in bed in the center of the photo, to the right of the front door. Right now there is a japanese holly/ilex of some sort and three small mountain laurels (they bloom bright pink). I need something to fill in the front of the bed, and maybe side by the driveway. There are lots of daffodil bulbs whose foliage will need some covering up. There are also columbines (you can see some leftover foliage) that look pretty in early June, but then they look too weedy so I hack them back. On the left there are some endless summer hydrangeas and a fern that I am going to remove.

{{gwi:46972}}

2) Fill in bed on far right of house. There is a large empty spot behind the holly that could use a shrub--maybe something more vertical but not so tall that it will block the windows. I realize that the holly is not ideally sited but it's already been moved once so I'm going to keep it where it is for now. In front is some lamium that looks nice in spring, but gets very scraggly. I cut it way back but that didn't help much. So some other perennials in front would be nice as well.

{{gwi:46973}}

{{gwi:46974}}

3) Fill spot by front door (not visible in overview shot above). We just had this fence installed so I need help deciding what to put in front of it. There used to be an inkberry that got increasingly thin and then finally died. My husband would love to put roses behind the fence to wind over it; I'm trying to figure out if there's enough sun and enough room.

{{gwi:46975}}

{{gwi:46976}}

Thank you for any ideas!!

Comments (5)

• pinksand
    10 years ago

Looking at the overall picture of your house I envisioned an arbor at the opening in the fence on the right. I planted a trumpet honeysuckle vine (Lonicera sempervirens) to climb an arbor this spring and would definitely recommend this vine, although there are lots of beautiful options! On the right, behind the holly, maybe a redtwig dogwood since the white fence backdrop might help the red pop in winter and go nicely with the holly in the foreground. If you want to stay within the hydrangea theme it might be a good spot for an oakleaf hydrangea to mix it up a bit. With the garden along your driveway, something a bit trailing might help soften the edges of the retaining walls. Evergreen candytuft might be a nice option and will be a beautiful white accessory to your spring bulbs. Do you have any fall bloomers in there? It looks like you have some autumn joy sedum on the far left but some anemones or asters might be a nice addition in the front. Maybe add some summer blooming perennials like catmint, Echinacea, coreopsis or campanula. Your house has a beautiful old traditional presence so some traditional cottage flowers seem to go with the style of the house.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

A couple of thoughts.

In Boston, you get some snow and wind. What effect will your new fence have on drifting, etc?

I usually make an attempt to complement the house color if possible. It would be eye-catching to come up with a long-bloomer that would set off the color of your front door.

Jim

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pinksand and Jim for your ideas!

Pinksand, I love your idea of the arbor but we just installed a regular gate there, matching the one on the left (the picture was taken before the gate was installed). You're right that there's not much for fall color there. Redtwig dogwood is also a nice idea--I'll have to consider whether that spot gets enough sun to give the twigs good color.

Jim, Do you have any ideas for long-bloomers? Eventually we'll probably repaint the house in a different color--it was blue when we moved in and the paint is still in decent shape, but it's probably not what I would have picked. I am going to repaint the door soon, but probably won't change the color for now.

Snow is always a consideration. The fence is only one week old, so I don't know about drifting, but that is usually not a very windy spot because it's sheltered by our house and neighboring houses. I'm more interested in something that won't bend/break too much in heavy snow like we got this past winter. I always have to tie up the japanese holly because otherwise it bends completely to the ground.

{{gwi:46977}}

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm bumping this up to see if anyone else has suggestions! I'm especially hoping to plant something by the front door (last two pictures) and behind the holly (middle two pictures) this fall. Thank you!

• pinksand
    10 years ago

What about an abelia for that bare spot between the steps and fence? It looks like they're still hardy down to zone 6. In zone 7 mine do keep their leaves through winter, although they seem to lose their gloss and perkiness. It may not be evergreen in your zone, but since the site would be protected against the house and stairs it might be a good spot for one. I find them to be such graceful little shrubs with their lose arching form. As for long bloomers that might match your door, there are some red varieties of coreopsis. One of my favorite forever bloomers is the fernleaf bleeding heart I have one in full sun, one in shade, and one in part shade and they are all very healthy plants. Somewhere in part sun, shaded by nearby shrubbery might be a good spot. They aren't as large and showy as the traditional bleeding hearts but mine have been blooming since spring and will continue into fall. I think 'Bacchanal' is a red variety.