Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tree suggestions

Posted by AngieS80 9, I think (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 23:20

Looking for a tree that turns colors in the Fall (red, yellow, or orange) but doesn't have that wide of a spread.

We live in Northern CA, have a big yard, but I don't want most of the yard taken up by the tree spread. Doesn't matter how tall. I don't mean Italian Cypress skinny, looking for a Maple or something like that that turns Fall colors. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tree suggestions

A couple of possibilities you can explore to see if they grow where you live are: 'Armstrong' maple, bald cypress.

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24, (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 20:49

Liquidambar? Some species are narrower than others.

o

There are quite a few trees that will grow well in our area of N. Cal that offer fall foliage color and do not grow to a very large size.
A favorite of mine is Persimmon, an added bonus is the delicious fruit that hangs in brillant orange orbs well past the change of foliage color.

Crape mrytles, dogwoods, redbuds, birches and maples.
Pistacio , sumac and pomegranates might also be a possibility.

If you are near Flora Grubb nursery in San Francisco you might find it an inspiring nursery to visit for ideas and nursery assistance. Their staff is highly trained.
The Dry Garden in Oakland is another resource with an excellent horticulturist on staff but the size of the nursery is smaller than Flora Grubbs so they have less in stock on hand.
Urban Tree Farm in Santa Rosa is HUGE and has a great selection of trees.

If you still have not made up your mind by this fall you might find visiting these gardens informative , all have fantastic shows of fall foliage color :
Filoli in Woodside
Sonoma Horticultural in Sebastopol
SF Botanical Garden

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 3:00

The suggestion of Pistache and Persimmon trees are both colorful and drought tolerant. Crape Myrtles are also good.

o

Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 3:01

The suggestion of Pistache and Persimmon trees are both colorful and drought tolerant. Crape Myrtles are also good.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. We have two Crape Myrtles in our front yard so I want something different in back. I'm not a huge fan of them to start with, and it took a lot of willpower to not take them out (the builder planted them when our house was built).

I'll take a look at all the suggestions. Thanks!!!

o

Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 22:26

Gingko's are spectacular for fall color, but after decades they can get big, but take a long time to get there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here