Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing gravel from bed

Posted by redecoratingmom 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 23:20

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and need some help. I recently cut down a group of hedges that where planted in a semi-circle bed that lined the walkway to my front door. My goal is to replant the area but I've realized that the person who planted the bed used gravel as mulch (really...who does that?). My question is how to go about removing the gravel so I can replant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing gravel from bed

really...who does that?

Entirely too many people, as far as I'm concerned....

Ideas for removing gravel

I inherited some round white quartz stone from the Previous Owners, used to make messy transitions between the lawn and the back door, the deck stairs, etc. When it looks too awful, I pick it out of the grass and rearrange it by hand. Time-consuming. Awkward. Yeah.

Since you're a "mom," perhaps you have a child who'd like to earn some pocket money?

Lee Valley Tools has a "rock rake" which might be helpful, depending on the size of your gravel. karinl recommends it. I have a fall project it might be useful for....
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10526&cat=2,44821

You can also invest in a garden sieve, or make one yourself from a wooden frame and a piece of hardware cloth (various ideas online). Here's the one I bought (don't remember from which catalog; not these people):
http://www.groworganic.com/soil-sifter-2-in-1-sieve.html
Most people seem to use these to sift compost; I got my money's worth using mine on two huge piles of ground-up maple stumps and roots mixed with dirt. It's easiest to separate things when the soil is not too moist but not too solid.

If the gravel is really mixed in with the soil, it might make sense to wash the dirt off a shovelful of gravel while it's in the sieve.

o
RE: removing gravel from bed

Thank you, I never considered or knew there was a rock rake, I think that might be my best bet after I shovel off the top layer of gravel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here