Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Playground mulch vs. cedar mulch vs.pine mulch

cjra
14 years ago

I'm never sure which is the appropriate forum for my questions, but I figured some here would know about mulch.

What's the real difference between what's referred to as "playground" mulch, cedar mulch, and pine mulch in terms of how it's used/pros/cons?

So far I've used mainly cedar mulch because it's about half the price, and I like it. However I have a kids area I'm finishing off - it's basically the border between the grass and fence, about 6 ft wide, maybe 12 feet long, bordered by a fig tree on one side and a chinaberry on the other. There's a playhouse and a sand box. In front of the playhouse are stepping stones leading to a gate to the neighbor's yard.

I could get another pallet of grass (zoysia) to fill in the gaps, but I don't think it's grow well there and would be a pain to maintain (a few longish narrow strips), so I figured I'd put mulch down. Initially I thought 'playground mulch' as that's basically what this is, but when looking at it, apart from the color, couldn't decide if it was any different - or better - than cedar mulch.

It's not like the kids will be walking on it barefoot or using it to cushion falls, it's really just a ground covering to avoid it being just dirt/weeds.

A con would be the color - this is much lighter, and the bed adjacent to it beyond the chinaberry will likely have cedar mulch, so I'm thinking this would look funny.

Any reason why a playground-grade mulch would be preferred in an area that kids walk on a lot?

And re: cedar vs. pine - any major pros/cons?

This is the area, before we put the sandbox down. It sits where the bench is and pretty much fills that whole space except for about a 1ft perimeter.

{{gwi:46994}}

Comments (5)