Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julies_garden2009

Help. Need advice for side yard.

julies_garden2009
14 years ago

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0743.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0744.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0745.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0747.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0748.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0751.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0758.JPG

/Users/julievanasten/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Aug 4, 2009/DSCF0759.JPG

I purchased this house about 2 years ago. I bought it in the winter and was pleasantly surprised with the backyard landscape as it came to life in the spring. Its like a well mastered orchestra piece from spring to fall. The front and side yard is a totally different story. I removed some overgrown evergreen bushes from the front and side of the house to let light into the now almost finished basement. I live in a beautiful neighborhood with old houses and mature tree lined streets. I'd like to add to that feel by planting a few trees in the side yard. I'm thinking a couple maples and ???. I'm thinking of removing the arbor vitae at the corners and replacing with a couple renaissance spirea. I'm totally clueless on what to plant alongside the front and side of the house. The side faces south and gets almost all day sun. I'm planning to put window boxes on the other 2 sets of windows on the side of the house as well as shutters ( any suggestions of shutter colors). I'm hoping to fence the yard next year as well as replace the front walkway with pavers similar to the backyard. I'd like to get some trees in soon before fall. I'm near Chicago which I believe is Zone 5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)