Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker12_gw

Amateur needs design tips for tiny area

seeker12
10 years ago

{{gwi:47215}}

I'm stymied as to how to redo this tiny area. It is 10' x 4'. The low round evergreen (left) will be removed and replaced by the dwarf Alberta spruce (pictured). At the porch/entrance end is where I will replace the low Japanese lantern; nothing grows there as it's subject to heavy rain overflow from gutters and some ice in winter.

This is Zone 5 along Lake Erie so that means cold, snowy, windy Winter; cool, wet Spring; and warm Summer and Autumn. The area faces North and receives only a couple of hours of sunlight in the morning; most is blocked by a large mugo pine.

An Asian-style look with a few plantings with mulch between is my preference so that it's appealing, calming, not fussy or overcrowded.

The dwarf rhododendron I took out never bloomed as I suspect it was sun-starved. A japonica didn't thrive as it was damaged by snow and ice, but a small mugo pine was okay.

The sidewalk edge is planted with tete a tete daffodills which will be supplemented with more and also with crocus. They're smiles after Winter!

Stumping me is how to achieve a pleasing flow from the corner where the dwarf Alberta spruce will be to the low Japanese lantern at the porch/entrance end. It also needs to be rather low maintenance as well as slow-growing.

Should I add a slightly smaller dwarf Alberta spruce around the corner from the relocated taller one? Followed in some pleasing height/color/texture arrangement of things like a bigger diameter mugo pine or a larger japonica that might withstand winter's insults, or a Tiarella Pink Skyrocket for a bit of color, and/or other slow-growing evergreen or shrub?

I have a couple of pinkish rocks that can be added to the arrangement, too. Something is saying three but not four plantings...an odd number seems to be wanting.

We're talking a "rank amateur" here who is delighted when anything put in the ground actually grows!

Your advice, design tips, ideas, plant suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022