Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korenhome

What would you put in this space?

D K
9 years ago

I am putting a koelreuteria paniculata tree but the rest of the area I'm at a lost.... I was hoping to put two avocado trees behind the Koelreuteria closest to the house.

Help.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The process of landscaping is much like envisioning the finished product and then reverse engineering it in order to arrive at the planting plan. It will be easier to come up with the finished product if you work on envisioning the canopies and for the time being, forget about where the trunks go. (That's the reverse engineering.) Think about the tree size as they might be in 15 years and how the canopies would relate to the house, street and drive. Another thing to keep in mind is that by adding multiple trees, it gives a wooded or forest-like impression. It is not necessary to think of the trees as things that shouldn't touch each other.
    {{gwi:47237}}
    {{gwi:47238}}

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

I'm not clear if the house in the picture is yours or if the driveway and side yard is yours.

What kind of Avo? Most get HUGE. I am currently trimming my Fuerte down from 40' tall just 7 years after bringing it down to 25' tall. Some branches I'm trimming 20' up the tree are 10" in diameter. It is now touching a power pole that is 18 feet from the trunk. I think I'm bringing it down to 18-20' tall and wide this time as I don't want to be climbing 35' up the tree in another 7-8 years when I'm 70.

Another problem is that they require lots of water and good draining soil. That is why commercial orchards are usually planted on slopes. Avos lose leaves almost continuously although most drop in two waves each year. For best health, the leaves need to be left on the ground out to the dripline. That means lots of leaves in the driveway shown in the foreground. There are a very few varieties that taste good but don't get huge. Reed is the best choice for that as it will get 20' tall but only 12-15' wide in 10-15 years.

Getting a Reed will be no problem if you are near Clausen's in Vista. I bought two from them - 100 mile drive for me.

• D K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the tips!! My house is the bare dirt with driveway. I was thinking of two reeds or holiday. I can't seem to find reed locally. I did find holiday at Armstrong gardens.

I do love the look of many trees together creating shade and barrier line to separate the properties. I want to make use of our properties with trees that will give back then plants that just look pretty.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Armstrong Gardens used to be willing to order just about anything. I used to work for them while I was in College and John Armstrong Jr. lived next door. They gradually became more corporate in nature after he retired in the mid 1970s. Now, they only seem to sell product they grow or buy from Durling, La Verne, or Monrovia Nurseries. They still seem way better than most "corporate" nurseries, but some things are lost. I buy lots from their Claremont store.

I only know 2 people that planted Holiday. 10 years later one was removed for a Haas and the other removed for a Reed that I picked up for her when I bought my Haas, Lamb Haas, Sir Prize, and Reed last year.

• D K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why did they replace their Holiday? I will see if I can get a Reed locally or just make the drive to Vista. A gentleman who use to live in escandido told me he had 12 hass avocado trees and that all avocado trees need a buddy so they can pollinate each other. Is that true? We have two neighbors in the city who sell avocados off their land.

• catkim
    9 years ago

One avocado tree will eventually grow canopy to cover the entire front yard. If there is another avocado in your neighborhood, you won't need two of them. My previous home was sandwiched between two houses, each with an avocado in the back yard. Both produced plenty of avocados despite benign neglect -- of course they were mature trees, with 30-foot wide canopies.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Avocado trees will produce more when cross pollinated, which requires one Type A and one Type B Avo. I'm not sure of the details as my area was all citrus and Avo groves so there are lots of them around. A friend just sold a house that had 80 mature citrus on the property, another friend lives in a house that has 80 mature Avocados, half Fuerte, half Haas.

The vast majority of commercial Avocados in CA were Fuerte up to 1950-1960. After that Haas took over. Both of those trees are huge trees and spreading in nature. The Wurz is a really small tree sometime sold as Lil Cado. Reed is not much larger and grows upright so is ideal for a narrow spot. The employee of mine that planted the Reed has an entire back yard about the size of the bare strip next to your driveway. I'm tight for space also with 60 Citrus and Avo in about 1/3 acre in my backyard.

The problems with the Holidays is that they were OK but did not compare well with Hass from the store. Her Reed has its first fruit about ready, is 10' tall, 6' wide, and was planted a year ago as a $60 #15 from Clausen Nursery. If you are coming south on the 15 Fwy for Clausen, Maddock Ranch Nursery is also great and 20 miles closer, just before Mission Road exit for Fallbrook, the Avocado Capital of the World.

• D K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!! I'm starting to love the sound of a Reed avocado. My front area slope is 16'x 8' and that's were I'm thinking I can squeeze in two Reeds! None of the local nurseries carry it so I may have to do that drive and see Clausens nursery! Thank you so much everyone!! I sincerely appreciate it!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I am not an avocado expert but I'm pretty sure some of them prefer varieties other than themselves as pollinators and that they're quite specific about the types. Check a compatibility list.

• D K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark! I found this
    http://ucavo.ucr.edu/Flowering/FloweringBasics.html

Guess I've got to do more research!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Yeah ... that's what I mean. The A & B list. Earlier, I came across one that was a good bit more extensive -- with lots of varieties listed -- but this may be sufficient.