Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovegardening_gw

Tall, fast growing evergreen?

ilovegardening
9 years ago

There's an area at the very back of my yard that I want to add a row of tall, evergreen trees to. There's a brick wall between my yard and the one behind me. I want to place the trees directly in front of the wall, so they basically form a second wall, eventually obscuring the brick wall. I want the trees to gain height quickly. The wall is six feet tall in that particular area, and I want the trees to be taller by at least several feet. However, I don't want them so ridiculously tall that they look out of place; I'm guessing that 15 to perhaps 20 feet would be about it.

I'd rather have tall, skinny trees instead of trees that widen as well as grow upward, but would certainly consider wider varieties if the reasons are compelling enough.

I'm in the San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles, so it's basically always summer here, and with the drought we're in, there's even less rain than usual.

I'd prefer a bright green color, although dark green would be okay; I'm not crazy about bluish-green or gold-green.

I want the trees to be spaced very tightly, really giving the appearance of a wall once they're well established.

Any ideas? I've looked at pictures of various arborvitae and junipers, but I'd like input from people who actually know about these things. :)

Comments (5)