Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil eroding along driveway

Posted by leaveswave (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 7:00

It's long. There're sloping bits. I need something to keep the dirt in place until plants establish. (I'd be transplanting plugs from various groundcovers I have in other places in the garden.

Someone suggested the mats. I'm concerned with driveway along one edge, I'd have to put stakes in it every 3 inches to have even a *chance* of it being able to keep the soil in place.

Would those erosion logs/tubes work better or worse, do you think? And if better, how/where would I find some locally (twin cities, mn)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil eroding along driveway

We had this problem at our old place. We got some bread crates (the big plastic shallow version of milk crates), lined them with newspaper, filled them with soil and grew groundcovers in them until they were WELL established. then transplanted the entire sod piece into the hole left by the erosion. Because the top layer was by then held together with roots, it worked pretty well. Hope that helps.

o
RE: soil eroding along driveway

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 19:19

The tubes are called fiber wattles or coir wattles or rolls. They are available online and I'm sure they have local distributors in your area.

Rolanka is the most heavily advertised.

Remember that erosion is a combination of speed and volume of water. Anything that you can do to reduce either or both of these helps. Do what you can to avoid adding water to the driveway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here