Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me with my entry landscaping :) Please!

Posted by dmhuwe NC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 8:02

Hi all,
I've been reading the forum all morning and decided I would ask for some help on adding some plants to the flower bed by my front porch, along the sidewalk and just your overall suggestions on how to make my landscaping look better. I just recently (yesterday), cut down a large japanese maple that was in the center island you see empty now. It had gotten so big and was blocking the overall view of my porch/door. When we planted it over 9 years ago we thought it was a dwarf, we were suprised that it got so big. Anyway, with a new blank slate, does anyone have any ideas? I'd like it to be inviting and am really open to any ideas. Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me with my entry landscaping :) Please!

Here is another view...

o

I would get rid of the big bushes sweeping into the entry area. They make it seem confined instead of welcoming. As those shrubs run along the foundation, they should be trimmed level instead of sloped in order to provide a look of stability and support for the house. Getting them to do that might require changing the ones nearest to the walk to other species as well as adjusting the trimming. Instead of the mulch edging, you might consider widening it a bit and using a groundcover of some sort that could tie elements in the yard together. The general condition of the grass needs to be greatly improved as it impacts the entire scene. Some annuals/perennials/seasonal color at each of the entrance that are not too tall would seem welcoming.

The usable space at the driveway seems pinched. A person getting out of the white car must cling to it in order to avoid stepping into the dirt. Likewise, the walkway looks a little skimpy relative to the house and the entrance opening. Filling in the planter space with concrete would solve these problems. If the entire walk was done of brick it would look nicer. A much cheaper retrofit would be brick colored paint (similar or matching your existing stoop.

o

I see that you added a second picture. The tree-limbing up process should be ongoing and it looks as if you are behind schedule regarding the large front yard tree. The early years determine to a large extent what kind of trunk system you will have in later years.

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 13:56

I agree with Yardvaark about those evergreens. Do you have problems with deer in your neighborhood eating your plants? I could picture hostas, daylilies and colorful annuals that can be changed from year to year. What about some nice container plants for the front entrance way?Does the front of the house get a lot of shade with those trees there? I get the morning sun in the back of our house and it moves around to the front by mid afternoon.. Stick with something that returns and reseeds itself so you'll have less plants to buy the next season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here