Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevik1977

Tree Help

nevik1977
9 years ago

Hi Gardenweb people.

We just cut down an old Silver maple (stump is scheduled for grinding). I had thought to plant a new tree to the right of house center (maybe 10' right from stump center). I would then remove the two azeala bushes (next to steps) that encompass the light pole to make a low flowerbed in that area. More work is needed in this area but a new tree is becoming a priority.

Looking at this picture the sun sets on the 4 o'clock hand (pic taken around 12 noon). If I move the tree to right center I may get alittle bit of wanted shade but not much. Most shade will cast over my left neighbors driveway and left corner of my house. So a shade tree is not a must; since I won't really get the benefit, but certainly an option.

Im looking to spruce up the curb appeal. I had thought about a Plum tree, Black Gum, Crepe Myrtle, Sugar maple, Zelkova and Crab apple (non-fruit possible?). I like the idea of spring color but open to particality for space.

Given the location, conditions are on the dry side and area quickly slopes away toward street.
I need to test but soil may be on the acidic side.

Im open to any and all ideas. Im alittle anxious since this is an oportune time to planta tree. I'd hate to miss this window. Otherwise this will be done in spring.

BTW
Grass area to the right of my driveway is my neighbors property. I may try to talk them into buying them a shade tree which would benefit both curb appeal and maybe some shade on my driveway side.

Thanks for reading.
I brought his topic up before and have since cut down the tree.
I thought I'd post again for further consideration...still not exactly sure what to do.

And I know, house looks like Amityville Horror house with attic windows :)
Thanks again.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I think you would be better off with a tree capable of attaining some decent height and having its canopy limbed up to provide a view on through to the house. A small tree -- crab, plum, etc. -- seems like it would be too obstructive to the view. The sugar maple, black gum or zelkova seems better. Also, I would try to place it in a less central position of the yard ... just left of the stump would be my first choice. There, it would help foil the view of some of the side of neighbor's house. If you provide soil, it will grow.

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see your point Yardvaark.

That idea might make the front yard more inviting too, especially after removing the azealas. Long term I'd like to setup a simple sitting area in place of the center Yew bush.

I just need to be aware of the power lines that connect to the top left corner of the house. That location could prove to be problematic.

Any thoughts on replanting at stump location (after grind and haul)?
    Easy to over excavate and add soil for success? Advised?

Thank you.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I would consider the single power line a non-issue. It's easy enough to carve a hole/conduit through a tree canopy in which the line can run.

If you get a tree small enough that its root ball fits in the soil adjacent to the old stump (whether you provide or it's already there) and the soil is continuous with surrounding soil, the tree will grow. within a year's time, pockets of sawdust from the stump grinding will be converting to soil.

• candogal
    9 years ago

I'm not sure about cutting a conduit for the power line through the tree. But I don't really know about managing trees in this type of situation, where there are so few of them. I live in New Hampshire, and most of my property is trees. Around here, neighbors tend to give you an evil eye if you don't cut trees totally back from the power lines. That situation tends to bring down the power for all of us. Several times a year - it's a pain. Still, I have a beech tree that's pretty close to the power line in to my house. For now, I keep it pruned totally away. It's probably going to get too big soon.

When I first saw your house, I wondered about a larger Japanese Maple - not the tiny ones that only get to be a few feet tall. But I agree with Yaardvark - a tree that gets tall enough to see the house under the canopy would be lovely.

I wouldn't worry about not having enough space for a bigger tree, either. Forty plus years ago when my house was built, some genius thought it made sense to leave both oaks AND the white pine on one side of my front yard. It's a bigger space than yours, but they're pretty squished - most of my property is behind my house. They are all big trees. I keep an eye on them, but so far they are all healthy. This is a common situation in my area of NH.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In areas with trees it's common to see private power lines running through the canopy. One needs to keep branches cut back from it so that no contact is made. As the tree grows and bottom of canopy is raised, the line might end up below the canopy.

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

Im thinking it may be at least 10-15 years before I have power issues.

I may simply get as close as the old stump as reasonable possible and take my chances. Maybe high winds would cause lights to flicker and at that time pune.

As far as neighbors go.
    This power line is for my house only, not a running street line.

See another pic of setup. (and old damage, Power was STILL ON!)

Given the power issue (or non-issue) would you lean more towards an oval or columnar shape? Are RED Maples (oval) 'crappy' trees? Would a Black gum (oval) still be an a wise choice? Or Maybe a Green (Vase) Zelkova pruned up. Not sure what Columnar to look into.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I consider grinding the stump and having it hauled away a waste of money. Cut it lower and cover it with topsoil, or do what I do here in the land of stumps, cover it with a shovel full of soil and Sedums.
    Having a large stump ground up and hauled away is expensive. How much were you quoted? I'll bet you can buy a real nice tree for that amount of money.
    I agree with Yardvaark that a new tree should be off center.
    Why not redesign the whole front yard and install it as time and money are available? One plant at a time is not the way to go.
    here's what I do with stumps in a lot of cases in my garden.
    Mike
    {{gwi:687}}

Mike

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't consider red maples -- especially patented ones -- to be crappy trees. But neither do I consider them to be among the most ultra durable and long lived. How they fit in that group probably has to do with where they're growing. I can't speak to black gum other than to say they are very handsome. Zelkova seems a good shape and has a lot of good characteristics. There is no perfect right answer for what tree to get.

• nevik1977
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike-
    The stump grind and remove is getting done for $100 cash.
    Its a very good deal and hard to pass up. Otherwise your alternative is a nice way to go.

I can see how doing everything at once would be beneficial.
    I may choose that route since the fall is getting away from me and my stump has yet to be removed.

Yardvaark-
    Thank you for your comments on the noted trees.

This may have to wait until spring.

I need/want to:
    -Remove portion of ivy in the flat area left of the tree (clean/regrade for tree)
    -Remove Azealas around light pole (develop new flower bed)
    -Remove Center Yew Bush (develop new flower bed in this area)
    -Redevelop dead ivy area in the center (maybe flowerbed held up with boulders)

My local nursery does free consultation with idea that I will purchase plant material for DIY install. I may just get them out to work on a real plan for me.

Thanks for your consulation.
    If I get a real plan together I will share.

-K