Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappykat48

Landscaping a Berm--Help!!

Kati
9 years ago

Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a house on water. It has a berm in the backyard put in in the 70's to prevent flooding. It is quite close to the back sliding glass doors. I plan to put a patio or deck in off the sliding door right up to the berm (it's maybe 15 ft. away?).

How would you suggest landscaping the berm? I don't want anything tall to block the view....

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

please add two more pictures: go to the open doorway and take a picture facing the berm. (It would be same as above, but from the doorway.) Then, go outside, move to one side or the other and take a picture looking back across what will be the future deck or patio ... in order that the berm slope can be shown relative to the house.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark---I haven't purchased the home yet so only have this one pic from the real estate listing :( I have my inspection on Wed and will take more pics then.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

In the mean time, why don't you poke around to see what regulations there might be about building close to berm and find out who owns body of water?

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its a lake (actually a dammed up part of the WI River) and I would own 90 feet of frontage ;) That's why I want this place---for the water---the house and yard (and neighborhood unfortunately) aren't great :(

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Still, there will be controls regarding what/how you can build. It would be good to have a general idea of the constraints. Doubt it will be any problem for what you want, but you will need to know if you can encroach on the berm.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will own the berm--its right in the backyard between the house and the lake.

• pls8xx
    9 years ago

For your property, what is the 100 year flood elevation indicated on the FEMA maps and studies?

What is the floor elevation of the house?

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Where I live you cannot build anything within 200' of a body of water. Which is about 2/3 of my lot. I thought federal regulations were 100'.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no elevation study for this home and according to my insurance agent, I won't need one done in order to get flood insurance.

I only want to lay a patio or put a ground level deck in right outside my patio door. The lake isn't *that* close so I don't anticipate there being a problem with doing this.

• Kati
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no elevation study for this home and according to my insurance agent, I won't need one done in order to get flood insurance.

I only want to lay a patio or put a ground level deck in right outside my patio door. The lake isn't *that* close so I don't anticipate there being a problem with doing this.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Maybe you'll add those pictures soon ....?

• nandina
    9 years ago

Height of the berm? How much of the 90' (?) berm do you wish to landscape? Presently it appears to be all grass, difficult to mow or control? How is present owner maintaining the berm?
    Any concern about trapped snow build-up between berm and house that could cause spring runoff leaking into house?