Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Violet's Hot Garden -- so excited!

violetwest
10 years ago

I'm getting a screened porch! That was at the top of my wish list (other than a pool which is never gonna happen). I didn't think I could afford it, but I have a contractor friend who came and gave me an estimate, and he cut me a deal!

So, it's gonna be small -- roughly 8x14, and designed to be a simple sleeping porch and catio. In the pic, you can see my existing 8 x 10 porch, and the new screened porch is going to be at the other end of the house, designed to match. I plan to put shade sails over the area in between the two porches to make an additional "room." Eventually I will convert my bedroom window to a door into the porch.

It's going to solve a whole bunch of problems with privacy and wind etc., and increase my home's livability by a lot.

Just had to share my excitement. I sure hope it comes together.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:09

Comments (17)

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I am happy for you Violet. I just don't know how adding a room to your house relates to landscaping.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ah well, sorry. I guess because I really consider it a yard structure-- an outdoor room,not a house addition. It will have no direct access from the house (at least for now).

It's also designed to solve some of the problems I have in my yard re: privacy, wind, etc., and the first step to the rest of the design.

Maybe I was too hasty in sharing my excitement here -- hope you forgive me.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:20

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

Hi Violet, I hope you will report more for us about your screen porch project. Your happy excitement made me feel good too.
    Besides, if you plant shrubs around the outside of the porch, i think that counts as landscaping. Have fun! Min

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

You did nothing to ask for forgiveness. Will you have water in the porch?

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by emmarene on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 15:31

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Clarify whether it is a screened roof structure, or a solid conventional roof structure.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it won't be plumbed or electrified now. Water, air and sun will get in; cats won't get out.

The roof -- I was going to have a slatted roof with clear material over it, but my contractor is advising against it because of the harsh conditions here, so it will probably be a solid roof like the existing porch. I guess there's a porch and deck forum . . . but I like this forum!

I guess the reason I am thinking of it as "landscaping" is that in evaluating my yard, the major aspects are its openness to the view and the elements, so I wanted to create a series of intimate outdoor "rooms" close in to the house. To me, the purpose of landscaping is to increase the beauty and utility of outdoor spaces, and in my mind, this will create three outdoor rooms -- the existing porch, the screened porch, and the area in the middle.

and I wanted to get this hardscape in so I could begin to put my plants and the other garden shapes I'm planning. I'm also going to be planting along the west wall now.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I bet you are excited. I think if you could swing it money wise I'd have the window replaced with a door at the same time. I don't think it would be that much more, but I bet you'd really like having it.

What are your plans for tying the two outdoor patios together? Are you doing a path between them or ??

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the moment, I am considering using a triangle shade sail or two to cover and define the area and putting some pavers down with rock in between.

That area in between is a "prime" area -- very important, so I am taking my time to consider what I want there. I may put a bench, or a water feature. I will probably do some plantings in front (perhaps a palo verde tree).

As far as the doorway -- you are probably right. However, I will need an electrician and a plumber I think to accomplish it, so -- more expense. I'm not in too much of a hurry for that.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 11:48

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just an update -- concrete base is poured; next weekend will be the framing, so it's happening!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, landscape peeples. I thought I'd give you an update on my screened porch and catio which is now complete. Obviously, I need to add stuff and improve the aesthetics, but I'm pretty happy. And the kitties are ecstatic!

Based on the amount of debris, concrete dust, and crap the workers made in my yard, I'm glad I have not yet planted much--everything would be trampled. Makes me want to finish the hardscape before I plant anything else.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more pics--happy kitties!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not too happy with the looks of this door -- needs planting!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and a final pic -- twilight from inside -- my fave thing!

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Congratulations, it looks good. Love the cats.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

What a nice kitty pad :-)

Is the construction done? Will this be the spring that you finally get to plant stuff?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

maybe . . . I certainly want to, and have planted some stuff already (remains to be seen if they survived the winter and my not-so-green thumb.) may decide to put some hardscape in first -- depends on my budget.

I was planning to go to a major native plant sale in my area the last weekend of April, but it turns out I have to be out of town for a family event. Not my only source, but I was looking forward to getting some nice speciman plants -- perhaps yucca, agave, and ocotillo. and i definitely plan a palo verde tree.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 20:56