Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
domen_gw

Looking for an outdoor faucet

Domen
10 years ago

Hi,

I am desperately trying to find a beautifully designed outdoor faucet for my garden. I can not believe how hard it is to find one. There is a flood of cheap faucets out there that just will not do for my garden. Any suggestions are welcome!

Please help :)

Best regards, Domen

Comments (8)

• Domen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi!

Many thanks for your reply Mr. deviant.

I did google Whitehall and found their selection of faucets but they do not have what I am looking for. Unfortunately...

I want a contemporary self standing faucet to complement my new house and garden. There must be an alternative to a spigot on top of a water pipe?

Kind regards, Domen

• nandina
    10 years ago

Faced with similar situations such as concealing well heads I always turn to a friend who does creative welding projects using found objects. I arrive at his studio, problem in hand such as how to disguise a working standing faucet hydrant, a few ideas are discussed and shortly a 'creation' appears. Always the perfect answer to the problem. Think about enclosing the faucet in some manner.

I have often used the quick fix of a large chimney tile place over piping, a large flat stepping stone on top of that leaving enough room to reach in to connect a hose and then a suitable pot of growing greenery on top of the stepping stone...or an appealing statue works also set on that type of base. Chimney tile can be painted if desired.

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

It sounds like a custom designed faucet may be your best bet or perhaps modifying an interior comtemporary faucet.
    You might find some interesting ideas by going to the website Houzz.com and writing in " garden faucet -modern" might give you a few ideas.

{{gwi:47808}}

[Tropical Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/tropical-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2108) by Kamuela Interior Designers & Decorators Willman Interiors / Gina Willman, ASID

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

A "beautifully designed outdoor faucet" implies only the valve which is attached to the end of a water pipe. Usually, these are located at the foundation walls of a residence. A "contemporary self standing faucet" sounds more like a free-standing yard hydrant ... which is the standing pipe coming from the ground and the faucet/spigot at the top. Typically, these are strictly functional and usually found in farm or industrial yards. I have never seen any that would qualify as a "designer" yard hydrant. However, there is nothing to say that a person couldn't create some type of encasement or apparatus to dress up the otherwise utilitarian hydrant.

While I've never been concerned with altering or "upgrading" the look of the "faucet" part, I have made free-standing yard hydrants that were somewhat decorative in their appearance. They were required to support an attached hose reel and the reel and faucet could be operated independently and simultaneously. (Functionally, this were extremely useful.) And the spigot height didn't require bending over in order to use it.) One was made of treated 4" x 4" posts (like a double mail-box post) with wood connecting pieces, and with piping run alongside (semi-hidden) and attached to one of the posts. And the other was made of painted concrete, where all of the piping was concealed internally. I just recalled that I have a picture in which the wood one is shown. (I had to enlarge it a lot, so it's fuzzy.) You can't see the spigot as it is on the opposite side at the top, but it's just a regular spigot. Also, below the spigot (you can barely see it) but at the ground, set into the walk is a grated french drain so that water does not hit the walk and splatter wildly. Maybe this will set you to thinking of ways you could decoratively conceal an ordinary hydrant.

• Domen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone!

@ nandina - It might be the only solution to enclose the faucet somehow. Whats your friends number? :)

@ deviant - I know there are many design faucets for indoor use but I am hesitant as it would have to withstand outdoor use and conditions, also would like to have the option for connecting a garden hose + I need only cold water and these types of faucets are mixers for hot and cold.

@ Yardvaark - Yes you are right a "contemporary self standing faucet" is more along the lines of what I am searching for. I also have not seen any that would qualify as a "designer" yard hydrant. Thank for your tips and not having to bend over is something I would appreciate.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Domen, one thought I had: are you in an area where freezes occur? We have few, but always insulate our exterior faucets in the winter to prevent water freezing in the pipe. This type freezing can lead to broken water lines.

Rosie

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

When I hear the word faucet I automatically think there should be some type of devise to catch the water. Such as a sink or barrel. Will you have a sink?