Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for edging a blacktop driveway.

Posted by chester_grant 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 10:29

I have an unattractive basic tarmac driveway - the expensive way to edge it would be to use cobblestones. That whole excercise would be very costly with the digging, gravel, cobblestone and then filling in the gap with a strip of new tarmac.
I thought about lining the driveway instead with some small low plants - but while hostas come to mind I am in deer country and those hostas would be eaten. So I also need to have deerproof plants.....

Any ideas - low cost that is? I guess small boxwood would be one option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for edging a blacktop driveway.

The classic is peonies. In snow country, there is a great deal to be said for something that disappears into safety during the winter.

o

How about some kind of small attractive ornamental grasses? Any suggestions? For a 50 ft driveway (100 ft of border!) wouldn't grasses be inexpensive solution?

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 21:09

Ornamental grasses are great for this. You can do masses of different grasses. Little Bunny Fountain Grass is a great one. I like Morning Light Maiden Grass for larger accents a few feet back. Elijah Blue Fescue is nice also, but I find it is inconsistent in my area. They are also forgiving to those occasional stray tires.

o

Liriope is mostly ignored by deer here and is evergreen. Carex, too. In snow country, I don't think I'd do boxwood. It'd take years to repair any damage done by accidentally going over the edge in winter. I had to put in aluminum posts to protect my plantings near the street.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here