Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 gallon bucket as a dry well

Posted by maciek82 none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 10:29

I'm thinking about making a dry well away from my house for my sump pump discharge. Oddly enough, my sump pump goes on more often then I would have expected it to (new home for us). No matter where I place the discharge hose in the back yard, that area gets pretty wet and hard for my kids and pets to play in the back yard.

I was thinking about putting in a dry well at the end of the yard. I see most of the real dry wells on the market might be an overkill for what I need. 50gal well I think is too much for a sump pump discharge. I'm thinking about digging a 3x3 hole. Adding gravel to the bottom, placing a 5gal home depot bucket in the middle and adding more gravel around the bucket. Finally I would connect a 4" pvc pipe to it. The top would get covered with soil and grass.

Anyone has any feedback if this will work?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 gallon bucket as a dry well

Can we presume that the pump is draining the foundation?

It would be a mistake to trap the water in a limited "container" (5 gal. bucket plus surrounding rock-filled space) without an overflow. Also, while the hole you dig seems like it would hold a lot of water, you are filling most of the space with rock so not that much is left for water. Since the pump already comes on more than you imagined it would, chances are good that when extended heavy rains come -- even if infrequently -- there will be much more water being pumped out than you can now imagine. I predict that a much better, easier to construct, fail-safe solution could be achieved if someone had knowledge of the lay of the land and all the conditions that affect this situation (the entire path, and beyond, that water would take to leave your property.) It will be much less trouble to keep the water above ground, if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here