Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Paver sidewalk vs concrete sidewalk?

TxMarti
10 years ago

1) which is cheaper in both labor & materials?

2) which adds more curb appeal, if either?

I'd ask which one lasts longer but I think concrete is obvious.

Comments (8)

• marcinde
    10 years ago

1- concrete

2- pavers are generally more attractive and interesting.

Pavers are generally made of concrete, so why do you assume poured in place concrete lasts longer? Concrete sidewalks and patios WILL crack over time, and pavers are easier to repair if they get damaged or stained. Additionally, think of it this way. Concrete pavers are manufactured under controlled conditions, to precise specs (at least with the good manufacturers). Poured concrete is dependent not just on the skill of the finisher but what the environmental conditions of the jobsite were that day.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I thought pavers might be cheaper actually.

With the moving soil we have around here, concrete will crack but stay in place, but after a few years, paver patios seem to have sunken areas or humps where the ground heaved upward. At least that is easier to fix than concrete.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

when you say moving soil, are you referring to expansive soils?

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

The big cost of a paver walkway or patio is the labor. If done right, your paver walkway will last for many years and ytou won't be looking at unsightly cracks that always appear in concrete. If done wrong, you will eventually be spraining your ankle walking on uneven pavers.

As a compromise, you could look at stamped concrete. We have a stamped concrete patio. I would have prefered pavers like we had at our Chicago home, but for some reason here in Kansas, pavers aren't used very often. (And don't get me started on the glorified fire escapes that pass for decks here...)

Concrete doesn't drain. A paver walkway will drain water. If that is important to you, Use that as a factor in your decision. I chose concrete in the end because we wanted as much water as possible draining away from the house.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

The big cost of a paver walkway or patio is the labor. If done right, your paver walkway will last for many years and ytou won't be looking at unsightly cracks that always appear in concrete. If done wrong, you will eventually be spraining your ankle walking on uneven pavers.

As a compromise, you could look at stamped concrete. We have a stamped concrete patio. I would have prefered pavers like we had at our Chicago home, but for some reason here in Kansas, pavers aren't used very often. (And don't get me started on the glorified fire escapes that pass for decks here...)

Concrete doesn't drain. A paver walkway will drain water. If that is important to you, Use that as a factor in your decision. I chose concrete in the end because we wanted as much water as possible draining away from the house.

• marcinde
    10 years ago

"A paver walkway will drain water"

That's a common misconception. A permeable paver walkway, properly installed, will drain. A regular one? Nope. 4-6" of compacted 3/4" minus isn't going to drain. Those tiny joints between pavers won't allow much infiltration, and nowadays we fill them with a polymeric sand that reduces infiltration even more. Always always always pitch your pavers away from the house because water's not going to percolate down through pavement.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, marcinde, I should have said expansive soil. We have a concrete sidewalk now and part or all of it is going to be replaced. Its appearance probably won't help our house much and can't make it any worse. I just want it done as quickly and cheaply as possible.