Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Suggestions for Foundation Plantings in Sunny, Dry Area?

Rudebekia
11 years ago

I need to redo the south-facing border at the back of my 100+ year old house. It is hot and dry in that area. Right now, there's a wine and roses weiglea in the center (which is generally doing well and I'd like to keep), and two very ugly, floppy salvias on either side. In between is a daylily and beebalm, neither of which has worked in the space.

So what would you do with this area, keeping the weiglea? I'd love something pretty, neat, but hearty and little-care. Some things I'm considering are dwarf conifers/spruce on either side to give some height and winter interest, or white peonies, or dwarf gold spirea, or little lime hydrangeas, or some type of non-flop purple salvia (are there non flop types), or non-flop sedums. I don't know if any of these would do well in this space nor do I know whether or not something larger on either end (like the conifer) would help "balance" the area. Really, I'm stymied in my decisions and any design help will be very much appreciated! I'm zone 4b, by the way--Twin Cities.

Comments (4)