Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Walkway between Buildings

Posted by bantoniewicz IL 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 12:06

Does anyone have any experience with pouring a concrete walkway between buildings? Our gangway was torn up during our home renovation and after considering continuing the planned brick paver walkway down the entire building, we're now settling in on concrete - cost and water 'safety' issue. I'm unclear on the steps for creating forms when they are between buildings. Any advice, suggested/recommended readings, etc. appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Walkway between Buildings

ban,

From my experience it is not a good idea. The reason is that it is difficult to do and you need to place expansion joint material on either building side. One way is to place oil coated 1x4 screed edges to be pulled out right after the concrete is cured enough to walk on and then replace the boards with clean sand or expansion joint felt with caulking. Place cross joint scores every 4 feet with an expansion joint with felt every 15 feet. You will get cracking, you just want to control it. I would go with a paver stone because it will be easier to fix problems from sub-grade and when you want to redo it it will be much easier and the original paver are reusable and can be resold. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here