Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptwonline

Terrace needed for gentle slope?

ptwonline
11 years ago

My available backyard is about 25 feet deep with a gentle slope that drops about 2 feet to the back fence. I am planning to build some low, raised garden beds along the sides of the yard (one side 25 feet long, the other side about 12 feet long because of the patio). These are not for vegetables: just shrubs and some groundcover.

For a gentle slope like this do I really need a terrace or not? The beds will be using some concrete blocks (faux fitted stone from big box stores, each 4 inches high) about 4 inches into the ground and 8 inches above ground, but of course that may vary because of the slope.

If you do recommend terracing, how long do you think I should make each bed before the slope causes the end of the wall to get too high and become unstable? Since this is at the edge of my backyard and thus along a wooden fence, how do I protect the fence from earth being pushed up against it in order to make a level bed since the fence itself slopes a bit with the land? Do I simply need to put stones deeper underground on the fence side?

Thanks!

Comments (2)