Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help, yard backs up to brambly untended land

Posted by kjmama 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 13:23

What can I do along our property line? Our yard has 2 long sides adjacent to brambly blackberry vines, honeysuckle, thistle..... the farm nearby is untended along that line. How can I - minimize the invasion, and what could I plant that won't be overtaken by such? Or any other thoughts, solutions.... ?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help, yard backs up to brambly untended land

Adding pergola to match the vines,or maple,juniper,conifer work.avoid tree's shade make other plants die.

o

Mow. None of those things can stand up to a mower. If you don't like looking at it, then plant dense conifers that can out-compete it.

o

Mowing is great, up to a point, but we can't mow all their land, plus it is rocky and uneven. Do conifers work>

o

How do you plan to use your property? Just lawn? Vegetable garden? Cottage garden? And the important question, can you live with the 'natural' look around you or do you have to have every blade of grass precision cut?

o

mama,

Put up a physical barrier like a nice high stone wall or very strong fence with many rails instead of pickets. Then chainsaw or cut back with a weed-whacking steel blade any thing coming over or through if chemicals are not an option. This will give a more manicured appearance. JMHO Aloha

o

Tough situation. Honeysuckle is terrible. A combination of mowing and a mixed screen is what you need.

First cut back and mow an area about two eight feet beyond your property line. I might even get out the roundup pump sprayer on it afterwards.

Second. This fall start planning your living privacy screen. I like a bush and tree combination. More different species the more interesting it is and the less likely the whole thing can be killed at once by the wettest fall ever, the invisible arborvitae gyspy ash borer, or whatever. Plant these a few feet on your side of the property line. Anything that gets taller than eight feet will do. I think evergreens are not necessary but would include some.

Third, mow every so often on the other side of the line, not the whole thing, just one or two mower widths. Every so often you may have to take the roundup to grape vine or the like.

Good luck

o

I've had good luck fighting Japanese honeysuckle by pulling it in the winter (though that can be dangerous if it's intergrown with poison ivy). You can also use Roundup or triclopyr (for example, Ortho Max Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer). The Nature Conservancy says to spray in late fall or winter to avoid damaging desirable plants; but be sure to spray when it's warm enough that the honeysuckle isn't dormant.

If the neighbor's property is uphill, honeysuckle seeds will continue to reach your property. [I don't know if they're also spread by birds, though I suspect not, since I never find seedlings under the shade trees in my front yard.]

Another possibility is to have someone till your side of the property and hope there's no rain for a while. That did wonders for the honeysuckle situation in part of my pasture (I actually had it plowed for planting vegetables, but it killed the remaining honeysuckle I hadn't eradicated in that area).

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/loja1.htm
http://www.imapinvasives.org/GIST/ESA/esapages/lonijapo.html

Both sites also have information about fighting other particular nasties.

o

Are goats an option?

o

Goats! A brilliant idea. You'd have to get the farmer's permission = and probably have them tethered, but after overcoming these obstacles, sounds great.

o

this is very helpful - thank you all!

o

I meant mow YOUR land! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here