Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting a square bed

Posted by oldginger_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 13:43

In front of my house, surrounded by brick walks, I have a bed 11' x 9', nearly square in other words. I'm finding it a very difficult shape to design. What principles of design might help me in choosing plants? (I have done a search of this forum, but pardon me if you've already covered this question.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting a square bed

Position is everything in this case. Pics?

o

It would help to know the USDA zone, the bed's sun exposure, and particularly the bed's location/context. Design principles may be abstract, but an actual garden isn't.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 21:37

The landscape is bigger than the rectangle in which you will place the plants. Everything around that space affects that space and that space affects everything around it. You can choose to ignore that reality while designing, but it is real and will affect anyone observing that landscape (some more profoundly than others)

The dilemma is caused by your subconscious being aware of that bigger landscape while your conscious reasoning is ignoring it. Pay attention to more of what is around the rectangle and it will become much easier to come up with a suitable composition.

o

If you already have walks all the way around it I'm going to assume a formal garden might be the way to go. Something with a center water feature that is tall like a fountain, and then plan out from that feature. Possible a couple of topiary evergreens for 4 season interest, a rose groundcover for a long bloom season of color and then special plants that you really like placed randomly in the bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here