Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
improving a sloping leyland line?

Posted by kjmama 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 13:46

This leyland line on a steep slope is functional , but need some softening... something else... It is like the march of the leylands:) Any ideas? Thanks!

From VA house

From VA house

From VA house

From VA house

From VA house

From VA house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: improving a sloping leyland line?

It looks like you have plenty of room to add depth to your hedge.

For info on a multiple-layer "screen," see the inspirational photo linked at spazzycat_1's first post on this old thread, and read all her posts on that thread for more details about her screen. [She's not too far from you (a bit south), and a zone or two warmer.]
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0415211512336.html

To find that thread, I searched her user name and "screen." If you'd like to check other posts, here is that Google search:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=spazzycat_1+screen&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=6f32b8af52b7e0b8

Keep in mind that the maximum height of Leyland cypresses is unknown -- the oldest ones are still growing at 130'.

I have a Great Wall of Leyland Cypress, planted by my southern neighbor maybe 15-20 years ago. They are varying heights, depending on where other trees are (or were) on both sides of the property line. Most are probably in the 50-60' range. Because the Wall is so tall and so solid, the southern half of my property gets no sun for months in the depths of winter. Snow never melts. The ground never thaws.

If you plant a tall inner row in front of your Leylands, consider removing at least some of the Leylands when the second layer of hedge is 6 or 8' high, and replacing them with something that's not so opaque or so tall. Particularly if your Leylands are along your northern or southern property line.

o

Adding dogwood,maple,conifer,azalea...maybe work,you select.
Photobucket

o

Thanks those are beautiful pictures. Many ideas to inspire... thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here