Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie144

Front Landscape Design for a Newbie

ruthie144
9 years ago

Dear Wise List,

I'm looking to redesign my front landscaping. It's the area underneath the bay window (see image). The region is shaded in the morning, and gets about 6 hours of direct afternoon sun.

The soil condition is very rocky with poor soil quality. However, I was planning on getting 3yd of compost to make a raised bed to help amend the region. The area measures around 21ft wide x 4.5ft tall (just underneath the bay window).

My original plan was to plant a row of knock-out roses. But then I realized that being in New England (zone 6), it would mean having ugly woody branches for 6 months of the year. I would like something that looks nice year round.

Any thoughts on what I should plant instead?

In my ideal world, there would be a nice layer of taller evergreens in the back, and then some flowering perennials in the front to add color and interest. Some of my favorites are lavender provence, roses, black eyed susans, and peonies. I have lavender provence in the garden bed on the right side. And it is doing very well in the dry, rocky conditions.

Some factors to consider:

1. Easy care-- I have young children. So while I love gardening, I don't have a ton of free time.

2. I like something fast growing, so the front yard can look nice quickly.

3. However, I don't want anything that will grow too tall. I like to keep it under 4.5ft, so that I don't have to keep trying to prune it down in order to not obstruct the bay window. We had a rhododendron at our previous house and it was a bear to prune every year.

I would welcome any advice or thoughts! In particular, I'd love to hear what are some of your favorite landscape shrubs/perennials.

Finally, any idea if it is too late in the season to transplant hollys and azaleas? We have some growing in the garden bed to the right of the image. They seem to be crowding each other, so I was hoping I could move them over to the left side. Saves me some money in buying plants, and it solves my overcrowding issue. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

Ruthie (a gardening novice)

Comments (7)

• ruthie144
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer up image of the area:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Are you looking at the whole front yard or just the area under the bay window? If the whole ... from the exact place where the first picture was taken, you might add another picture that shows the bay window portion of the house and the yard space to the left of it.

While KO roses are fairly spindly in the winter, some other shrubs, after they develop, can be somewhat dense looking in winter even though they're deciduous.

Someone else might think of an evergreen that'll limit itself to 48" ht. but I can't. (There should be a little "white" space below the window.)

• ruthie144
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks @Yardvaark. I'm only looking for suggestions for the area under the bay window.

Any suggestions for shrubs that might be somewhat dense looking in winter time too? I like something like azaleas, except the region is not filtered light, as required by azaleas.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I have seen many azaleas grown in full sun well south of you.

• desynerguy
    9 years ago

Have you thought of maybe the Japanese Pieris? Beautiful shrub, evergreen, tolerant of sun, flowers.

• Just_One_Nerve_Left
    9 years ago

Now is actually the ideal time to transplant most plants. Plants are starting to prepare for dormancy but have time to adjust to their new location so they can settle into their new holes.

There are some Encore Azaleas that could easily fit your needs. Sun tolerant, repeat blooming, and hardy through Z6 and meet your size requirements.

I know there are some dwarf lilacs around also that could be a good match, though I would probably use it more as a side anchor plant than under the window. I think most of the dwarfs are around 5'.

Hydrangeas and viburnum could also be good picks.

Most hybrid tea roses would fit in that space also. They really are not as much work as most people make it sound. Just remove spent flowers once a month. At least not in my area.

You have enough space there I would definitely recommend doing shrubs then a front layer of shorter plants. Maybe some sweet william/dianthus, sweet violet or a daylily.

• tlevins02
    9 years ago

Hicks Yew, Shasta Viburnum, Beautyberry, dwarf crape myrtles? I'm not a fan of roses... so leggy...

I'd think about putting some sort of Columnar evergreen in the inside corner and perhaps even the outside. It'd really frame your beautiful bay window

If anything, I'm a big fan of mass planting (planting several of one type of plant). It makes a more dramatic impact and looks natural. Can't really go wrong.