Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundational Planting Suggestions?

Posted by dzd9fy Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:52

We are wanting to replace what there is of our existing landscaping and would appreciate some input and guidance on lplant suggestions and layout. Of the existing, the only items we plan to keep are the shrubs that line the walkway as well as the Maple and the Spruce that are in the front yard. We would like low maintance [trimming/ annual clean up]

Any quidance or suggestions are appreciated!

As reference, the front of the house faces South and we are listed in hardiness Zone 6a.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundational Planting Suggestions?

another view

o

another view

o

I would reconsider decision to keep hedges that line the (narrow) walk. They do not add to the quality of the house being inviting and welcoming. Some widening of the walk would help. Doesn't look like there's any foundation plants worth keeping as they are.

o

Thanks for the suggestion on the walk, it is alreay 4', how wide should it be?

Also agree on the foundation plantings, suggestions on what to do there?

This post was edited by dzd9fy on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 11:31

o

anyone?

o

I also thought the walk was narrower than 4' (due to the enclosing effect of the current hedges). If it's 4', that should be fine.

Eliminating the hedges will cut out most of your trimming!

I'm afraid I can't advise on shrubs for your climate. But if you pick slow-growing shrubs and keep them in a "natural" shape, that will also minimize trimming.

o

The foundation area between the drive and the stone portion of the home is almost indecipherable, being covered up from view or fuzzily distant. The porch area does not show up well. You might add some photos (square on shots, if possible) from about half-way up that show some of the hidden areas.

o

Ha! The very FIRST thing I would do is get rid of the shrubs lining the walkway. They are too confining and distracting.

o

Additional view

This post was edited by dzd9fy on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 19:30

o

It seems I stand alone. I like the hedge to the door. Usually I hate anything so close to a path. I love the flow of that hedge. Of course I am not a pro so I give my opinion as the average Joe who walks past the house.

o

I'm speculating on how you might lay out some basic plantings. Since I can't grasp your photos very well, you'll need to do a bit more interpretation. I think you can see what might be a shrub, perennial, groundcover or tree. (I'm drawing through your hedge in order to help explain the illustration.) The picture is not specific plant recommendations so you could research what plants grow there and would fit those approximate dimensions. Or ask further questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here