Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Landscape Ideas

Posted by heavensqt 8 (asb3087@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 15:16

I'm a total newbie to gardening. I have tried my hand at it here and there but I dont have much of a green thumb and I have a hard time imaging what to do with my front yard. The fall is right around the corner and I'd love to have something done to the front of the house and add pops of fall color. If you all could give me some tips and ideas and lots of plant names so I know exactly what will work in this yard I'd love to hear from you. FYI I am willing to take anything out of the yard even the tiny pecan tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: front yard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Landscape Ideas

Can you tell us where you are located? Zone 8 is different if it's the s.e. US vs the west for example. If you're in the south a great book is Southern Living Landscape Guide (I think that's the name) or Tough Plants for Southern Gardens. The first thing I would do would be sort of have a grand plan for the front yard. Bigger beds are better, in my opinion, easier to plant and maintain, mulch, and weed. Pecan trees (I'm thinking you're in the south) get very big, and in my experience, are notorious for dropping big limbs in storms. So, yes, I might take that out. The little palm also might have to be moved, or perhaps put it inside a larger bed with several other plantings. My mom lives in south MS and has lots and lots of shrubs planted singly in her lawn. It is very hard for her to weed and keep the grass away from each plant and it is very hard for the guy who cuts her grass too. I just can't convince her to make a larger bed and put several plants in there together then make a trench around the large bed (a border bed or an island bed).
The easiest way to separate the edges of beds from the lawn would be to make a trench with a shovel around it. It's easy to do esp. after a rain. If you can give us some more info and maybe a couple other pics it would help. You also probably want low maintenance which I would suggest small trees, shrubs (there are plenty with 3 seasons of interest), and bulbs for the most part. The lawn looks good so tht's a plus.
Laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here