Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feed_the_tree

Contest! Place two 8' tall yews in my yard

feed_the_tree
9 years ago

Become famous immediately by winning this Place The Yews Contest!

I am getting two free 8 ft. tall yews from a neighbors house teardown. I want to place them in the right corner near the neighbors driveway and street. I want to let them grow untrimmed to an eventual height of 20+ feet and natural spreading look, for future generations.

My goal is to fill in this empty corner with a bed of woodchips and perennials in addition to the two yews.

Comments (13)

• feed_the_tree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the 8 foot yews I am getting

• feed_the_tree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A side view of the corner where I want to plant the yews, the tape measure is 16 feet long

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

Looks to me like those yews might be a serious impediment to safely backing out of the driveway safely. Better check your local ordinances to find out if there are any restrictions on plantings, fences, etc. within a certain distance of a driveway.

• feed_the_tree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks garden State of mind. I will work with my neighbor to make sure we don't obscure his view. I honestly hadn't thought of that, and it is important.

I have 20+ feet from the street curb to work with until the large silver maple, the yellow line is a 16 ft tape measure.

I don't have any design talent (or other talent for that matter) and I need to move the yews next week.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Any idea what the cultivar is?

Unpruned yews are trees. Unless they are a dwarf cultivar, which is unlikely for something kept at that height, they are going to get too large to cram both of them in that space. Assume a size along the lines of 12 ft across, and 30 or so ft high.

• nandina
    9 years ago

What do you know about moving trees, especially this size which need to be moved by a commercial outfit with a tree spade? Expensive process. It is too early in the season to move them...and the location you have picked is not suitable unless both you and your neighbor plan to give up driving. And...do you know if wires/pipes lie under your designated spot? Forget the idea.

• feed_the_tree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nandina,

I am a professional tree mover. The 27 foot blue spruce in the background was moved to its present location with my 90" spade on the coldest day of January 6 years ago. I am using a smaller spade for these yews.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

Plop one right in the middle of your yard, and put the other in the back. No Yew in that corner. The shrub edge looks funny in that it just stops, I wonder if you could just continue it to the street.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Feed the tree, if you move the yews, what are you going to have before much time passes? An overgrown mess of shrub form trees that contribute a negative value to the overall property! The pictures offered are close-ups so don't explain the overall scene. If we were to see one that did, I think we'd see large shrubs that are destined to become trees because their width can't be accommodated by the space available. We'd see these future trees growing up into the bottom of a larger tree. It won't look good because the lower trees will grow sideways, reaching for light and when all the canopies mix. It'll look messy in addition to the negative obstructing effects that have been already pointed out by others. It'd be better to sell the Yews to someone who needs them.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

In my area, no solid shrub can be over 24" tall within 10' of the street. Tree trunks are fine, of course, because they are narrow and there is a distance to the next trunk.

I say this because it might help you in your choice. Your jurisdiction could have no law about that. There is a safety reason behind the law in my jurisdiction, not that laws always make complete sense.

• feed_the_tree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I am thinking of placing the yews on the opposite side of the yard instead.

Here is a picture from Jan 2008 of us moving the 27 ft Colorado blue spruce to its present location.

• agardenstateof_mind
    9 years ago

FTT, I think your landscaping looks very nice as it is and that the yews, small or large, but especially full grown, will detract, not add, to what you have in place. Perhaps something small (low-growing), to the right by that neighbor's drive.

I agree with Yardvaark, find a home for the trees where they are truly needed and will be able to reach their full potential.

And, oh, what I could do with a truck like that! It's a very good thing I don't have one :-)

• dhd47
    9 years ago

There is a perfect spot for those yews in my yard. hehehe I agree you should just extend the shrubs you have now along the driveway.