Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blocking a bad view.

Posted by waterfella1 Ill zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 16:54

We just purchased a home with a bad view of a neighbors back yard. The space along the lot line between the end of his house and my garage is 34 feet and has a three foot chain link fence. We also have a deck five feet off the ground that overlooks his yard. I am looking for ideas to block the view year round. The city will not allow a fence higher than five feet. A line of tall columnar Arborvitae has been suggested. We are looking for ideas that would solve our problem without breaking the bank. The Arbs are on sale now and would do well with planting in the fall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blocking a bad view.

Arbs take several years to get as tall as you want. That means for the next 7 years or so, you would still see the neighbor's back yard!

And, if one of them gets 'sick' you would have a hole in the screen.

This is tough. I'm not trying to get picky, but...didn't you see all that before you bought the house?

Jim

o

could you add a picture of the primary offending view? We should see how high of a screen you need.

o

do you need to see any of the view beyond the bad stuff? I'm thinking of a lattice screen or actual screen at the end of your deck that would create a "room" close in to your house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here