Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Help! Tell me what to plant here!

rakin
10 years ago

(I am still relatively new here, so please bare with me)
I am in zone 7b - Memphis area.

what you see in the photo is the new construction of the back of my home. This is the side of my gargage which is a north facing area (photo taken at 3pm, and very shaded) The yellow line on the ground is where the pool deck will end and the bed will begin. The bed will also double as a dog run for a couple of small dogs. The bed will be covered in stone and sectioned off by 2 ft wrought iron that will run the entire length of the garage. I need something along the wall, but it has to be at least 2 ft off the ground and not protrude into the deck space. (in other words, I want the dogs to pass through the area unimpeded by low branches). I would love to do a teddy bear magnolia espalier style, but obviously that is out of the question. I only have about 3 ft between the house foundation and the pool decking, and I can see awful results to the concrete if I use a magnolia. I have considered sky pencil hollies, upright yews, and topiaries. The sky pencil and yews are too bushy at the ground area. Topiaries might work, but I just don't know what type can take the shade. Any suggestions

Comments (2)