Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Landscaping Poolside upper deck suggestions?

karyn
10 years ago

We are looking to put in some decorative potted plants on the top deck of our pool area. They need to be controlled growth (dwarf varieties?) in order to avoid obstructing the views - or infringing on the screened in "lanai" as they call it.

We already have two 20" pots and two 16" pots for a start (empty) but will gladly change that plan for something better...

This is Florida - so we get extreme amounts of rain and humidity, strong coastal winds - and maybe a few months of good weather where it supposedly dries out in Winter.

They can't be "dirty" plants - dropping things in the pool all the time.
They shouldn't be bug magnets - (despite the screened in area).
The less attention they need the better. We will try to get them on a drip sprinkler, but no guarantees we'll have access to that.

Some kind of tropical look and/or flowers would be nice. Ideas anyone? Links to sample pics would be helpful too if you have them...

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:49151}}

Comments (4)

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

bromeliads would fit the bill well.
    they can be underplanted with some cascading high contrast plants such as tradescantia pallida or plectranthus.

Several favorites that would probably do well in your area are Alcantarea imperialis, Aechmeas sp. Vriesea sp, Billbergias sp., Hohenbergia and Neoregelia.

There is a wealth of colorful foliage plants that would also be well suited to your location - check out Alocasias and Colocasias .

For Florida landscaping inspiration check out the work of Raymond Jungles or Debra Yates.

• kbard
    10 years ago

So this screened in part is just screen or glass?
    I think a whole bunch of delosperma would look great.. In some lower pots.. Tropical exotic look and very brightly colored when blooming
    Definitely not a dirty plant, does not attract bugs that I've ever seen on mine.. And extremely low maintenance.. And stays very short under 6"
    I'm just not sure how it would be with high humidity all the time... Usually likes hot and dry but maybe if ambient humidity stays high u can just water less. Here in pa it does get very very humid at times in the summer and mines fine But to begin with since it's a succulent it won't need much water and either way needs a soil mix that can drain very quickly after watering, sandy
    Delosperma Mesa verde is one I like as well as delosperma fire spinner

• karyn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Yes, the entire lanai is an outside patio - completely screened in and very large - probably 40'D x 80'L

I like the Bromelaids thought, and Elephant ears, but was also thinking some kind of large central "showy" plant(s) as well but we do have to keep them small enough to not outgrown the screen roof.

Delosperma underplanting would work well too visually but if they like dry then maybe not so much - the area is screened but in full sun (not under roof) and we get massive amounts of rain - sometimes torrential downpours - every single day for 6 months a year. Just something to consider for planting.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Also, consider oyster plant ... regular for an overall bronze tone look or variegated for a more purplish look. For a low growing, colorful annual, purslane would be a good option. For a taller plant (easily pruned to lower height) if placed where someone wouldn't accidentally run or bump into it, you might consider one of the large flowered crown of thorns. They do well here and look great, being in near constant bloom. None of the plants I've mentioned can tolerate freezing conditions, but in other respects they are all tough, undemanding and clean.

{{gwi:49152}}

{{gwi:49153}}

{{gwi:49154}}

{{gwi:49155}}

{{gwi:49156}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio