Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich_in_zonal_denial

Off Topic - Dr. Leda

Before being 'spiked' off this forum we use to laugh til we peed our pants reading the musings of Dr. Leda, otherwise known as Elizabeth Churchill ( sp ? )

Elizabeth moved from Berzerkley CA to Louisiana a couple of years ago but continues to write a down right hilarious gardening column published by Regans Nursery in Fremont CA.

I tried to email Elizabeth threw the link in her zany column via the Regans Nursery website but the link is not working.

Does anyone know how to contact Elizabeth or has anyone heard how she is doing and if she needs a place to stay ?

If I can be so brazen, may I ask someone here to try your luck at the Regans Nursery website using the email link on Dr. Leda's rose column to ask how she is doing and if she needs assistance ?

Maybe my Mac isn't compatible with the link .

My apologies for being off topic.

Michelle.

PS - Dr. Leda, email me ! I have housing and a job for you if you want it.

Comments (34)

• nandina
    18 years ago

Mich,
    Elizabeth has been very much on my mind, too. How I wish she would return to the fold now that things have relaxed because she is an unique garden writer! I will send you the last e-mail address I have for her. Hopefully as power is restored you can reach her with it.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Nandina,
    Much appreciated.

• Shag
    18 years ago

I've been thinking of Elizabeth, as well, Michelle and didn't know how to get in touch with her. I hope you find her ... or she finds you ... and that she and her family (and beautiful home and rose garden) are okay. Let us know if you do find her, okay?
    maureen

• debinca1
    18 years ago

Haven't heard, and my email to her has not been answered. I used the link from the last Regans newsletter.

Please let us know if you hear from or about her......Have you thought of calling Regans? they might have a better line of communication. She gave me advice and help when I was hired as rose buyer, manager at my last job. Very gererous of her, actually. Love her sense of humor.

• pastvast
    18 years ago

In need of reading something humorous, curiousity got the better of me and I did a search. Haven't read yet, because I found (and wanted to share) the info you were looking for.

-Stephanie

Editors' note: Dr. Leda lives north-east of New Orleans and escaped the Katrina disaster. However, her town's populations has tripled with the arrival of many, many refugees. She is fine and will write again as soon as she is able.

Here is a link that might be useful: where I found note

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank Flora for you info pastvast !

The editors message on Dr. Leda's newsletter must have been added within the last day cuz I don't recall seeing it before.

Bet Regans was getting flooded (errr umm, probably the wrong word to use here ) with emails and phone calls.

As soon as I or anybody else makes contact with Elizabeth, lets try to follow up and let our gweb community know how things are going .

Thanks again.

• Shag
    18 years ago

yes, thanks for that news and link.

• Mee_Too
    18 years ago

Glad to know that she is OK....

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi gang,
    I received an email from Elizabeth and she and her family weathered the storm well.
    They live 50 miles away from New Orleans and escaped the 'cone of doom' ( her description )

The population of the small sleepy town that she lives in has increased 3 to 4 fold.

Everybody is pitching in to try to comfort and welcome the evacuees.

She requests that if you are interested in donating items that deodorant be tops on your list, as it is very hot and quite crowded at the moment.

She sends a big hello to everyone .

Thanks to all who assisted me in tracking the elusive Dr. Leda down.

Sure wish she wasn't banned for life from the GWeb

Maybe the new administration will pardon her ?

Michelle

• Mee_Too
    18 years ago

You're welcome for the help in tracking Dr. Leda down....glad to have been of assistance!

At the moment, I cannot recall why she was banned....can you refresh my memory?

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

Has anyone noticed a highly-annoying Oscar Mayer pop-up on this thread? It happened twice to me this morning. All my pop-up blockers are on and the dad-gum things keep up their assault.

Michelle, maybe someone has tried to sabotage your posts. You little information bulldog, you! Baloney, anyone?

• Bogart
    18 years ago

I had a really big and reaalllllyyyy LOUD pop-up as I tried to access this thread yesterday..a tad embarrasing--at work and all...

• Mee_Too
    18 years ago

I keep seeing an ad featuring a chocolate chip cookie. Sometimes in its place I see an ad for yogurt.

Somehow, I find the cookie more appealing!

I still can't recall why Dr. Leda was barred from here....does anyone remember?

• inkognito
    18 years ago

She preferred the oatmeal cookies.

• inkognito
    18 years ago

As I remember the lady in question she presented herself as an adult with grown up views that she was to prepared express in an articulate fashion (hens teeth anyone). She ate meetoos for breakfast, with yoghurt if I remember well and the oatmeal cookies, a New Orleans speciality I believe.
    ACJ 7000

• vicki_ca
    18 years ago

Michelle, thanks for starting this thread; and MeToo, thanks for the update. I had been thinking about Elizabeth and went to the Regan website over the weekend hoping to find an update about her. I thought she lived in New Orleans' Garden District. This is one time when I am glad to be wrong.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nandina,
    Thank you for your determination and research in tracking down Elizabeths new email address for us and sending it off to me.
    Without your help I would not have been able to reach her.

many thanks.

• ilima
    18 years ago

What a wonderful off topic to wander off into. Thankyou pastvast for the link and update. Her August letter on muck boots was quite timely. So good to hear your friend is Ok and I look forward to reading about her experience with Miss Thing Katrina Rose. I had to add her to my favorites list. I knew there was something about that name, Dr. Leda that I wasn't getting and when I read its bawdy origin I just laughed and laughed.

What a find, a truly funny southern garden writer.

ilima

• spunky_MA_z6
    18 years ago

what is the bawdy origin?

• krista_marie
    18 years ago

A few people that frequent another forum have been allowed to return upon their asking.
    Maybe Dr. Leda should put in her request if she is inclined.

• spunky_MA_z6
    18 years ago

I would bet if she could come right back without asking anyone....has she tried?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll let Elizabeth know about the change in ownership here at the Gweb and maybe she will join us again.

But her hands are pretty full at the moment with taking in evacuees and assisting her community , much to the contrary of Mr. Cheney's spin , thing's are not moving along smoothly.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

But according to Babs, many of them are better off in their new locations.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ron,
    Bab's is a scary one.
    I always wondered how she managed to get her face on the one dollar bill.

• Mee_Too
    18 years ago

Vicki_CA wrote:

"Michelle, thanks for starting this thread; and MeToo, thanks for the update."

You're quite welcome, Vicki!

Always glad to help in any way I can.

• mysteryrose
    18 years ago

Yeah, me too. I tried the Regan's e-mail # and got nowhere. Great to know that Dr. L.H.( Elizabeth) is safe. Add me to the long list of those who have enjoyed her writing. (I've also had a secret feeling that we were sort of soul mates since we share a love of roses and taste in houses; the style, age, and exact colors of trim on our painted ladies are so similar it's creepy.)

Mich. in Z.D.: Babs?! A co-worker of mine who had to interview her on radio and who spent quite some time with her will--rudely-- only call her Blubbera; he's described her as one of the nastiest human beings he's ever met. What was it Nixon said on the tapes? "That woman really knows how to hate."

• mjsee
    18 years ago

And for anyone else looking for friends from NOLA--www.nola has a forum for missing persons. (Link below--you have to join to post, but can search without joining.) While I didn't find my friend Steve and his partner Warren DIRECTLY through this forum--I did find several other folks who were looking for them as well. We formed a communicatons tree and shared info as we heard it. We finally got word that all was well the Thrusday after Katrina. The guys stayed in NOLA with their elderly landlord who refused to evacuate...last I heard they were hping to be allowed to stay until the airport opened up again.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: NOLA's

• Karen Mickleson
    18 years ago

Blubbera..."That woman really knows how to hate."

Which accounts for W's deer-in-the-headlights look, seen here, tho not as vividly as when interrupted while reading stories to the Florida children on 9/11....Sorry, I couldn't resist. [see: Bush on the Couch, Justin Frank]

{{gwi:49370}}

• vicki_ca
    18 years ago

WooHoo! I opened my email today and saw a newsletter from Dr. Leda. She has written her latest update at the Regan Nursery website. Glad to see that her ROSES and beautifully DESIGNED and LANDSCAPED GARDEN (staying on topic here - wink-wink!) were spared from Mother NATURE's damage this time around. IÂm also glad to see that she still has her delightful sense of humor intact.

How on earth do Southerners live with those fireants, rabid armadillos, Formosan termites, stink bugs the size of ping-pong balls, voracious carpet moths, militant wasps, and rats the size of great danes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Leda's ROSE Journal

• janandalan
    18 years ago

Vicki,
    It's not all bad. After all, we also have mint juleps, sweet tea, barbeque "to die for", spanish moss, crab cakes, shrimp and oysters, the warm gulf-stream waters flowing up the carolina coast, historic plantation houses, the singing of tree frogs, centuries old live oak trees, affordable housing, good air quality and (need I go on?)

BTW, Dr. Leda forgot to mention Japanese Beetles and Carpenter bees. I wish I could harness the abilities of carpenter bees. They can eat a perfectly round half inch hole through a piece of 2-by treated lumber in less than a day. Pretty awesome really, unless it's your deck being eaten....

.....Jan

• nandina
    18 years ago

Vicki,
    Thanks for jogging my memory! While we are discussing the good and the bad about the south let me add an important off-topic subject.

Those who experienced winds from hurricane Katrina as she moved north should be very aware that the Formosa termite is often carried inland by hurricane winds. It is a very tiny termite with a voracious appetite which has caused the loss of many trees in the New Orleans area. There is tons of information on Google for you to read. Learn to look for the dirt tunnels around trees and structures which are an indication of its presence. Also, when carried on winds these tiny termites land on roofs and start eating a building from the top down, beginning with the shingles. Those with attics and upper crawl spaces should check for sawdust signs once a month. This may be the only clue that you have been invaded. The termite is already in various parts of the country, so everyone should educate themselves on the subject.

Note: This would also include the east coast, Cape & Islands which will receive Ophelia's winds shortly out of the Charleston area which also has Formosa termite. It survives cold weather.

• User
    17 years ago

As many of Dr. Leda's (Elizabeth Churchill's) fans might know, she has been absent from the writing scene for a while. I have some information about her condition.

She contributed many wonderful and sharply written columns to www.regannursery.com for six years. She has been preoccupied fighting a very serious illness.

To continue to enjoy her sharp wit, you may wish to read her blog. Her story is, in her own words, "Not for the squeamish or faint of heart." Read more at her blogspot:

As The Tumor Turns.
    http://spinningtumor.blogspot.com/

She could use your support, spiritual and otherwise. If you are so inclined, you can donate to the "New Shoes for Liz" campaign. Her son Finnegan has made it possible for anyone to contribute on his blog:

Finnegan's Wake-Up Call
    http://finwake.blogspot.com/

Brian Phelps
    Webmaster
    Regan Nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: As The Tumor Turns

• stevied
    17 years ago

Thanks for keeping us informaed, although I am sorry to hear of her illness.

• debinca1
    17 years ago

Thankyou so much for the update and the chance to check in with her. It is and always will be a pleasure to read her ponderings. I sure wish the posts were of a different nature for her sake, but Thankyou Brian.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz