Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for lattice panels

Posted by sandysflowers (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 19:12

I just built a lattice screen to hide the equipment to my inground pool and am now looking for ideas of plants to use to cover it. It's 5 feet tall and in an "L" shape with one part of the L 8 feet and the other 10 feet long. The area gets afternoon sun an I live in MA.

I just bought a climbing hydrangea that I was thinking of using to either cover the lattice or some of the chain link fence around the pool. I also would really like to plant a perennial hibiscus and was thinking of using it to cover part of the lattice. Would these two plants go well together on the lattice? Would the perennial hibiscus do a good job hiding the lattice or should a vine (either the hydrangea or another one) go behind it?

Any help or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I love gardening but I'm truly design challenged :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for lattice panels

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 21:22

Anything you put in front of a fence or lattice tends to change the fence to a backdrop rather than a fence staring you in the face. Climbing hydrangea looks great on lattice while nothing looks very good on chain link.

The high end strategy on chainlink pool fence in places like Cape Cod is to plant privet hedge along it and let it grow through so it looks like there is only a hedge there.

Another couple of good lattice growers are Manhattan Euonymus (green) or Silver King Euonymus (variegated) which are available already trained as espaliers on cheesy trellises in the nursery pot. They are both evergreen as well.

o

besides climbing hydrangea,vine,rose,if have room,maybe other people like privet shrub,tree,bamboo, stone, mud ...mix to fence too.but they need more interesting,time.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: if need design

o

ideasshare-- HUH??? I didn't really get your answer or your picture.

laag--I agree that the climbing hydrangea would probably look better on the lattice, but don't necessarily agree that nothing looks good on a chain link. My goal is to hide the chain link and I have several plants already that do that quite well. I have a really tall grass (think it's called zebra grass??) that is beautiful and huge. It covers a large section of the fence. Next to it is a weigela bush that hides the next section. The previous owners did a nice job landscaping to hide the fence. Unfortunately, they planted bittersweet which has gone completely crazy and I've had to start just ripping out. I just planted a sweet autumn clematis in its place because I saw it on my mother in law's fence and it seems to do a great job of hiding as well. Granted, you'll always see some part of the chain link I'm sure, but I love the look of flowers rather than hedges and I already have a great base of gardens all around the perimeter of the fence to work with.

Thanks for the idea of the Euonymus--I didn't know that could be trained to climb lattice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here