Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jnail923

Front yard landscaping

jnail923
9 years ago

All,

I'm looking for some help/ideas on getting my front yard into shape. When we purchased the home 1 year ago, the front yard was covered in large loropetalums and the other green bush. All the bushes were in the same place as the lone standing one and some behind. You couldn't see anything behind them and it took up a lot of unused space. I finally decided to remove a majority and move some to the back.

Thinking about moving last green bush to the left corner, and removing the loropetalum in front of bay window.

Any ideas on how I should go about redoing this area?

http://www.jpegmini.com/widget/3db602f8-9e17-4194-9528-0b20ec144164

http://www.jpegmini.com/widget/9b5bd354-43c7-4e63-9205-09304e8475c9

http://www.jpegmini.com/widget/205f89bb-c252-4f43-bcba-87d9ed69deb0

Appreciate all the help!

Charleston, SC

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Consider returning to the same place this picture was taken and taking 2 additional that show left and right sides so the complete scene can be seen. Just pivot camera to left and right. And post them directly to the thread, please ... which you can do one per post.

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Rather than me trying to explain the details of changes I'd make, you can see general suggestions graphically. The main idea being to make plantings more simple, intentional and full. I'd get rid of the skinny grass path between the beds. Tree near the intersection needs limbing up work. It will become exponentially more difficult to do when allowed to go too long. It needs a comparably sized bed below ... not a tourniquet. Would "murder" that multi-trunk crape, but in a really nice way. Keep the cone shape, but develop a very full head beginning at 9 or 10 feet above grade. would get rid of crape standard near garage.

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really appreciate your response.

Cut the large crape down,leaving a cone shape at about 9-10ft from the ground.

What should I do about the green bushes and loropetalums in the bed I'm working on? Also, what type of plants should I look to fill that with.

Any plant recommendations for the areas you modified would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This part of my house gets the morning sun and the is shaded in the afternoon around 1-2.

This post was edited by jnail923 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 21:06

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't know where you live so can't make plant recommendations. I would remove all those shrubs (lorapetalum and green) that don't seem like they can ever really fill the bill ... without causing too much trouble anyway. If you happen to live where dwarf yaupon holly grows, it is one evergreen shrub that is easy to keep below a window. Some of the dwarf Indian hawthorns can also do. Regarding the lower height plants, it looks like you have some plants in that category that are doing well. These could be made into masses of their kind so that there is greater impact. All the space needs to be filled in to that there is not bare space.

• jnail923
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Charleston, SC.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Then those plants I mentioned would work. I could see big leaf hydrangea working around the bay window. You have the dwarf nandina near the light pole, which would be OK, but you need a solid bed of it to surround the pole. You might take a hike to the local botanical garden and see what is there that might work for some of the locations. Propose it here for reaction.

• jnail923
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've spent most of this spring finishing my backyard, and now I'm back to figuring out the front yard. I've added a Sago Palm near the railing and two nikio hydrangea's under the bay window. 5 azaleas' along the foundation to right, and mixture of lantana, verbina, and hostas in front..

Was hoping to get some guidance on how to finish or even rearrange what I've done. Thanks!!

• jnail923
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is an upclose pic of the bed, before I planted the Sago and Hydrangeas'.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

I'm counting 4 stripes of material across the plot ... too much variety for the small space. It doesn't look like you're correlating the Hydrangea to the bay window. The back row is too close to the house.

• jnail923
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Move the Azaleas up and maybe join the all hostas and lanata into two separate groups to eliminate the additional row? What are your thoughts on finishing around they bay window making it flow with the rest of the bed?