Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Believe It Or Not...Our Three Patios are Now Installed!!!

Posted by aloha2009 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 19:35

After all the struggles, tears, frustration, and time, our patio was poured today. It looks wonderful!!!

We must have had around 20 working on it at one point and I had many, many, many compliments on how great it turned out. We had double expansion joints put in and it made a HUGE difference in the look.

I want to thank so many of you for your patience and help in helping me work through the design process. In reflection it was an extremely difficult piece of land to work within because of sloping, upper decking, shade, and walkways. I'm ecstatic about the layout and looking forward to getting more patio furniture, plantings etc to dress it up even more.

Now begins the fun stuff of selecting and planting all kinds of beautiful new plants. Frequenting the Botanical Gardens as often as I do, I can now move forward and get some of the plants I fall in love with.

Thanks for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Believe It Or Not...Our Three Patios are Now Installed!!!

Pictures please!

o

ditto.

o

It's not quite ready from prime viewing since the cement is still wet & forms are still in but here goes.

Our main patio that spans the length of the house. Great shade from our scorching sun in the summer. I love the cut lines and the way it incorporates the dreaded deck posts I was trying to work within. Though the elevation was an issue on one of side the patio we can camouflage it with either a raised bed or taller plantings.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The following area is a 16' octagon. We struggled so much with this shape. A round patio didn't fit with the straight patio next to it along with cutting off to much space. A square one didn't because it accentuated the bad angling of the retaining wall & our house being angled on the lot. The octagon shape followed the contours of the house and it fit nicer just a step off the main patio. We placed the one step by the end of the deck with a post there. It's pretty clear that a step is coming so I hope we don't have any accidents.

Photobucket

The following is our fire pit area with a small walkdown to the beach. We're opening up that end of the yard and gaining beach area. We didn't really need anymore patio, but it's such a great area come mid afternoon with a tree just west of it. Speaking of tree, you can't imagine all the cottonwood roots we pulled out of the ground so it wouldn't ruin our patio. No less then 50 with some roots with a 3"+ circumference.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was a 45' walkway with 2 large curves over the area. It's pretty much a typical walkway so I didn't include pics

o

It all looks very nice and I'm sure it's a thrill for you to reach this milestone. The decoration using the score lines worked out well. It's a great way to add interest without a lot of expense. It's nice that you were able to tie the posts together like that. As well, the octagonal approach is frequently useful and pleasing in a patio layout. It seems that it came together quite nicely. Not it's time for planting fun! Thanks for adding the photos.

o

In a word >>>>>>>>>>WOW!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here