Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boothbay_gw

Need to cover eyesore

boothbay
9 years ago

My neighbors back yard adjacent to mine is a total mess...bicycles, old fridge, broken chairs...and etc..u get the idea. I have had it. I want to cover that part which is 8' long. to hide if from my view. I need ideas and did some searching but to no avail. Can anyone recommend an area, or have ideas on what to do? I just had that part of the patio cemented, so Putting holes into it is not a good idea to think about right now.

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

What you could do depends specifically on the constraints you're working with, of which we can't see any and your statement doesn't make it clear. The easiest way to convey it is with a good picture.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:49465}}

Stupid me...here is the mess i have to see daily. I am open to suggestions of all kinds..from a fence to landscaping perenials that are at least 7' to 8' feet tall and close together. Very light if maintenance to none...and of course, evergreens. Notice the white chain fence that is theirs by law.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

OMG, boothbay, truly awful. For hopefully nearly immediate relief I'd suggest contacting your local Code Enforcement Office.

If you take a pic showing your property, specifically the whole area you need hidden and where you are, zone wise, so appropriate suggestions can be made. Me, I'd have a fence constructed, whether I could afford it or not. How can anyone live that way?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Depending on your space available, I've seen some really attractive screens built from tall window shutters with hinges and painted/decorated to your liking on DIY sites like Pinterest. Immediate blocking without waiting for your plants to grow in.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The picture should include YOUR area relative to the screening problem so we can see the constraints and be able to speculate on solutions. Please back up with the camera.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, boothbay, truly awful. For hopefully nearly immediate relief I'd suggest contacting your local Code Enforcement Office. >>>

I would agree IF I want enemy's for a neighbor. I just rather cover it up. Someone asked for the area that this is taking place...why does that matter? I am not looking for legal advice, thanks...just something to hide it decoratively at best.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

Didn't mean in any way to offend you. I'm sorry.

I asked for your USDA planting zone, not a specific location. The reason for that it that some plants suggested wouldn't be hardy in your area.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I think the question about area was as in how much space there is and what is surrounding it. Ie the picture is a close up of what you see, but there is not a picture showing the area you have available to screen things. Most plants are wide and take up space.

ÃÂ

I think a wooden privacy fence would be the best to screen it and take up less space. It is also immediate and no waiting on things growing in. In my area a small section wouldn't be expensive at all and plants would be about the same cost

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

i'd go with fencing of some sort - then you could plant some pots in front of it for some green - but if your plants get thin/die/etc you keep your privacy. but i'm not sure how you'd put it up - you say you just poured new concrete so there isn't a place to put in fence posts right? a wider view of the area on your side of the metal fence would help clarify.

prefab wood panels that came to mind are linked below...

Here is a link that might be useful: redwood fence panel

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Ditto on that we can't see what you have to work with. Can you plant a fence? ... is there room for plantings? etc.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Can you show a larger picture of that part of YOUR back yard so we can see what you have on your side ... how much space between patio and neighbor's fence isa there to work with.

And city/state if you want specific plant recommendations. USDA zone is not enough: Tampa FL and Phoenix AZ are in the same USDA zone ... we do not grow the same things.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I am in Zone 6-7...NYC...these are the best pics I can show considering the limitation of my moving back enough to get the full aspect of the problem. The measurement length wise along side the chain link fence that I could cover is 8' long and the height would be about the same. I did not take offense at all..just didn't understand the question.

{{gwi:49467}}

{{gwi:49470}}

The awkward shot looking down to the area...shows about 4' space between my steps and that chain link fence.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

If it was up to me I'd consider taking those previously mentioned prefab six-to-eight foot long wood fence panels and wire them up to that lower chain link fence. There are much simpler, lighter, and more airy panels than the one linked to.

Wiring means it gets put up quickly but temporarily, and the little chain link fence may soon prove flimsy in the face of the forces, like weight, wind and bouncing big dogs, that the big wood panels will force it to bear. All three things happened to my next door neighbor. Mess.

Then you can sit back and decide if it's a good long term fix and, if so, make plans to make it permanent. One way would be to remove the chain link fence (is the mesh really buried in concrete?) and re-post with stronger tubular fence posts sleeved and grouted right over the old fence posts and run some new lateral supports. Removing the chain link fabric and going into that new concrete cleanly (if necessary) would be trivial for a fence installer or even a decently equipped handyman.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Perhaps large deck planters (like maybe even stock tanks drilled out for drainage) supporting large lattice panels? Plant some vines. Even if they aren't evergreen, the lattice will help.

This tank is 6'x2'x2'. It would support an 8'-wide lattice.
    {{gwi:49472}}

(That rose bush was potted up to save it from a remodeling project--right now my yard looks like your neighbor's.)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

When you said the fence belongs to the neighbor, presumably you are speaking about the chain link fence we see in the picture ...? It would follow then that the concrete wall also belongs to the neighbor. Can you confirm this?

Given that the concrete floor is continuous all the way to the wall, and you don't wish to put holes (presumably planting holes) in it, it seems like planting anything is out of the question. Wouldn't that be fair to conclude? If it's true that the wall belongs to the neighbor, I can't see anyway around creating holes in the concrete for fence posts. But these are not large holes nor are they numerous or left open. If all you need is an 8' length screen, it seems that a 6' ht. solid fence panel installed on posts set adjacent to the wall would be the likeliest solution. It would be good to see that the fence and wall had some ornamental characteristics that fit with the setting as opposed to placing just a basic, utilitarian structure.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I like ford's idea of a planter screen. Do a Google search on planet screens and click on images to see some inspiration.

Or to make it easier and year around full screen do a privacy fence that you attach to the concrete with concrete anchors to avoid having to break it up. I would try for something more decorative in the way of fencing though.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When you said the fence belongs to the neighbor, presumably you are speaking about the chain link fence we see in the picture ...? It would follow then that the concrete wall also belongs to the neighbor. Can you confirm this? >>>

No, the concrete is mine, not the fence. Whatever I decide to put there is going on my concrete with that chain link fence be hidden. yes, as of this moment I would not like to put a post or two into my newly laid out concrete. In hindsight, when it was being done, my mind was not on that eyesore. I could still plant something there in planters, which would not require going into the concrete.That area does not get any sun, cause they have a huge awning above that mess of theirs. I need some info what kind of plant that would be perfect for that area. ..so I am checking out some nursery sites.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Since you own the wall, you could attach fence posts or fence to its sides and not need to bore into the floor slab. The planter, especially a big one as shown would be OK if you have the space. The only negative is that sometimes it's more difficult to get plants to perform consistently and over the long term. Not impossible by any means, but will require care and attention. You might consider a growing a vine on a trellis in the container. It would be the quickest solution and relatively easy to manage.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since you own the wall, you could attach fence posts or fence to its sides and not need to bore into the floor slab. >>>

Sorry, where did I say I owned the wall? What wall are you talking about? I have to put something in front of that chain link fence, which is NOT mine, so legally I cannot tie anything to it without their permission.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I would do something like this:

http://www.plowhearth.com/wicker-outdoor-patio-privacy-screen.htm

or this:

http://www.plowhearth.com/faux-greenery-privacy-panels-set-of-12.htm

This post was edited by sasafras on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 13:24

• eaga
    9 years ago

Take a look at Manhattan euonymus. It can tolerate shade, is evergreen to semi-evergreen for your area, and will grow up to 8' if it has something to grow on. It doesn't attach itself, so you'll have to tie it to whatever support you give it. You might be able to find it in large pots with trellis attached, but probably not until spring. You'll need to prune it - easy to do, and I would fertilize once a year since it will be in a container.

You probably realize this, but I feel compelled to tell you that anything growing in a container is more vulnerable to extreme cold weather than plants that are in the ground.

Edited to add link

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus kiautschovicus 'Manhattan'

This post was edited by Cercis141 on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 14:50

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

You have 4" in front of that fence, go get some metal poles to place in the ground in front of that fence. Then you can add lattice or fence boards or whatever and just wire them to the poles.
    Of course figure out your spacing first...just throwing the pole idea out there so you don't have to dig into your concrete.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You can get 5 gallow buckets at Home Depotor such. Fill them with Quikrete, and mount your fence posts in the buckets of concrete. The you attach your fence to the concrete. You can do any type of fence you want.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Sorry, where did I say I owned the wall?

"It would follow then that the concrete wall also belongs to the neighbor. Can you confirm this? >>>
    No, the concrete is mine..."

Does it not sound as if you are answering the question and claiming ownership of the concrete wall? It is either that, or you are confusingly answering a question never asked. However, it was a mystery to me how one could own the wall, but not also the fence on top. It would help if you stop calling anything "the concrete" and refer to it as the "wall" or the "floor."

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 15:55

• eaga
    9 years ago

Yardvaark, the concrete in the last photo is paving, not a wall. There's no concrete wall in the area the OP is showing us. The chain link fence is at grade, and next to it is the new concrete pavement that belongs to the OP.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Been looking at this for a couple of days. Yes, your nemesis seems to be concrete. If the space between the stair cheek wall and fence against the house isn't used, maybe you could consider a raised potting bench as opposed to jerry-rigging trellising, etc. on a fence that isn't yours.

I'm linking the opening page of a Google search for illustrations - the one with the high back is quite nice...(would be even nicer if you knew someone who is handy with tools and could make one for you to fit your exact specifications.) The back could be solid with/without shelving or solid with a hook for a piece of interesting "garden art" A pot of something trailing and easy on the bench - like a sweet potato vine, or a container of colorful annuals and you'd be good to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: raised potting benches

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Cercis, I beg to differ. It looks like a short c.l. fence on top of a short concrete wall with conc. flatwork abutting. I do not see a fence at grade in front of the original junk pile. There is a fence at grade along the side of steps, but that is not part of the original question. (Not sure why that picture was added.) A better picture would have been been taken from standing inside the doorway of the house looking straight out, showing floor and space beyond the lot line.

• eaga
    9 years ago

The fence in all photos is the same fence. The third photo, taken looking down from the landing at the top of the steps in the second photo, shows, at top the neighbor's fence, then the OP's concrete pavement, then the capstone of the railing at the top of the stairs. At least this is what I'm getting, but I could be wrong.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I do believe the eyesore in question is at the grade level fence running along-side the OP's property. Though they're both "back yards" we're looking at them as side yards.
    If the OP were to take a picture from the doorway aiming straight back, we wouldn't even see the junky area in question.

And I'd wager my next SS check that the OP would know whether or not the fence is on top of a short concrete wall.

In the first of the two consecutive pictures (taken from the back of the yard), the neighbor's junk is obscured by the tree branch. Orient that picture to the one looking down on the new concrete from the top of the stairs - you can see the cheek wall finishing piece in the left hand corner.

• eaga
    9 years ago

boothbay, in that third photo, is that thing with red and black handles a pair of garden shears? You might need some if you go with a plant screen. I'm just saying . . .

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I think you and I are on the same page, Cercis - I'm not a speed typist.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Based on the last comments I took another look and see now, OMG, what a misleading photo the third one down is. I read the floor as a knee-wall and the porch rail cap, as the floor ... raggedy ass construction, I thought. There is absolutely no reason to put a photo like that into the thread! The OP should have backed up 10 more feet and showed the overall scene ... with the camera HELD LEVEL, not at a goofy angle. But now that I get what it is, there is no way a decent planter will fit into that skinny space.

• eaga
    9 years ago

To be fair to the OP, her picture caption did say that the photo was taken at an awkward angle. And if hers is like other homes in NYC with which I'm familiar, that second photo may have been taken from as far back as she could go. Many yards aren't much wider than the house. She does say that the concrete space between the fence and the steps is 4' wide, so I think she's got room for a couple of decent planters.

duluthinbloomz, lol, you saw those loppers too!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Does your concrete go under the neighbor's chain link fence?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Cercis, Photo #2 makes it clear a decent photo could have been taken if the OP would have walked to the proper spot.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Click on the link below for planter screens. You can then see you may not need a plant to cover the whole area to screen the view, but let the combination of a screen and plasma do it. Seems like you have enough space for planets there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search for planter screens

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Pending checking with building regs ... you need something blocking the view from the steps most of all.

Maybe something like this, with a fairly tight lattice at the bench back, perhaps running the arbor part across the entrance steps?

{{gwi:49473}}

Or this one ... with the corner to make it more stable.

{{gwi:49474}}

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whoa, as the OP I did not expect this thread getting into a misunderstanding..LOL Let me first say that I am deeply appreciative for all the suggestions offered. I would look into them all. I have to make a decision on weather I should do this in the Fall or Spring. I guess it is going to depend on what choice I make for the 'coverup'. I would also like to mention that Cercis141 and Duluthinbloom were on the same 'page', according to my pictures. I said before that some of my positions were limited to the space I had. As for Cercis141, that red and black object is a tool that belongs to the neighbor...if u look closer, you can see its on the other side of the fence...theirs. BTW, what gave you the impression that I am a 'she', Cercis141? I am not offended, but why would u think that, has me curious? Yardvaak, your correct that I should have made myself clearer in regard to that overhead shot. The object closest to the shot is one of 2 limestone headings which u can see in the long shot that I took from my lawn. i took it for granted when I mention concrete, it would be taking for flooring, which it is...and there is 4 feet between that c. l fence and my limestone heading for my steps..so there is plenty room for what I need to put there. Again, thanks to all and now I have to make decisions.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"...so there is plenty room for what I need to put there." Sure, my refrigerator would fit in the hallway so I could say there's plenty of room for it. But putting it there would destroy use of the house. After you place a planter -- surely a large one like the trough planter would be a couple of feet of depth/thickness -- then you are left with 2' between steps and planter. How is that space any longer useful? It's going to seem cramped.

• eaga
    9 years ago

Hi boothbay,

There wasn't anything in your posts that gave me a sense of your gender, my use of she or her was arbitrary. Sorry if I caused concern, and thanks for pointing it out. You weren't offended, but someone else might be and that certainly is not my intention.

I hope you'll let us know and see what you decide to do!

Cercis

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I hope you'll let us know and see what you decide to do!" Do you mean about the gender?

• catkim
    9 years ago

For quick long-term temporary, I'd put up a free-standing frame with a screen made of outdoor fabric. It's thin enough to fit the space, nothing to trim or water, and you could even select a plant and flower pattern to match your garden style. http://www.pinterest.com/helenmiddleton/garden-privacy/
    http://www.markilux-na.com/photo-gallery-side-screens

Longer term, is your concrete footing engineered to support a block wall?

This post was edited by catkim on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 15:51

• boothbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Catkim, interesting sites..the second one is more interesting for me cause awnings are out of the question. Also, I have to consider wind problems. My upstairs small patio's redwood slat cover was half torn down a few years ago, prior to Sandy storm, so i had that rebuilt. I never had anything in the messy area so I have no idea how windy it would get there. BTW, it seems we have a comedian amongst our midst ( Yardvaark ) LOL

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I take them where I find them. :-)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

accidental posting deleted

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 1:46