Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey Woodyoak

Posted by hostarhodo (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 19:53

I love your tuteur, it would look great with clematis. I have mentioned this before, I had put a 8' length of CB Tower over a Sweet Autumn Clematis, had added a birdhouse on top. Update it is now all covered by the clematis and looks like a green and white pillar. Has covered the birdhouse too.

While reading this I thought, maybe I should try adding another length to it. Apparently, Sweet Autumn Clematis can grow up to 30' tall. Can you picture what that would look like. Not great posting pictures but I will try.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey Woodyoak

That sounds like a great use for the CB tower! And SAC could certainly cover a lot taller structure - 8' would be nothing to it. At this point for my tuteur I have planted Huldine, Star of India, Rouge Caldinal and Perrin's Pride, one plant on each side but they will all mingle as they go up. I'm not sure whether I'll like the mix or end up digging out one or more to make a more monochrome combination. Against the garage wall behind the bed where the tuteur is there are white hydrangeas with deep purple and red clematises growing through them. So I'm hoping the colors on the tuteur clematises will pick up and coordinate with the colors in the background. We'll see how it works out... Easy enough to change if need be. They are all Group 3 clematies which are normally cut back hard in the spring. I'm going to see what happens if I cut them back in the fall instead so the tuteur will show up nicely against the snow in winter.

o
RE: Hey Woodyoak

Love clematis, only have 30 or more. I have 4 on each side of a smaller structure, only 3 years old. Some going up trees, some over rocks amongst the hosta, one on a privet hedge. Never tried them on the hydrangea, mine is a very old tree, gets lots of wind.

Like the tall structures, adds height and interest, very showy.

Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here