Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eroding soil under fence

Posted by eacollie TN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 20:13

My house has a fence around the back yard. The property behind this fence has not yet been developed and slopes downward into the center. Rain has begun to erode the soil underneath the fence, such that the fence posts are now visible.

Any suggestions on what to do to correct this issue or who to consult with?

I'll try to get pictures and post them in the next few days.

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eroding soil under fence

Planting shrub,adding rock maybe work.

o

Definitely gravel will help. I don't care for plants underneath or close to a fence since it makes maintenance of the plant and the fence difficult.

I'm talking about digging a trench along the fence bottom and filling it with gravel not just laying it along the edge.

o

collie,

Who owns the land behind your fence? If you get permission, you could do some erosion control before the water reaches your fence by placing small dams in the water's pathway. This would aid in allowing more water to percolate into the ground and less running off. It would benefit the trees, your neighbors land and your fence area. This type of work is done by volunteers on government owned land all the time. They use storm water best management practices. These are straw wattles, burlap gravel bags, straw etc. Aloha

o

I have some pictures:

#1 and #2 two are behind the fence.
#3 shows the length of the fence.
#4 shows sample of erosion under the fence.
#5 shows the length of fence and its sway.

The property on the other side of the fence is still owned by the developer but up for sale. It is ground level at the street level for a few yards in, but then slopes downward toward the center.

If we dig a trench on both sides, fill it with rock, and then perhaps railroad tie on the back side will that help?

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

o

adding some shrub and rock work.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here