Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

Attractive berry patch

nancy0903
13 years ago

I want to plant a berry patch in a fenced area of my property. I realize that the patch will need to be netted to protect from bids and other critters. Does anyone have ideas or book recommendations for both layout and cover ideas? Are there any annuals, perennials or shrubs that can be interspersed to make it more attactive? The patch will be in a fairly visible portion of my yard.

Thanks,

nancy

Comments (7)

• ideasshare
    13 years ago

1.privet:evergreen shrub
    2.old huyang tree
    3.if it is cold,plant a few conifer as banboo grow together

{{gwi:49385}}

• reyesuela
    13 years ago

Brambles like to be mulched, not inter or underplanted. Raspberries will choke out anything else, anyway.

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

Hmm, I wonder why people tend to assume 'Raspberries' when they see 'berry patch.' I know that raspberries are often recommended as the best fruit to grow at home because they are easy to grow and yield well, but they do spread by runners and take over unless they are properly contained.

When I hear that someone wants an 'attractive berry patch' I think of Blueberries as a first choice, as well as Currents, Gooseberries, Elderberries, Huckleberries, Cranberries, and other shrubs that are not invasive and are prettier than Caneberries (raspberries and blackberries.) Strawberries can be attractive, although they spread by runner and can be invasive if not kept in check. For more exotic berries you can try: Goji Berry, Lingon Berry (if your climate is cold enough,) Chilean Guava, or Chilean Wintergreen, Honeyberry, Sea Berry, or Aronia.

Some of the berries listed are reliably tasty, others are not or must be cooked to be edible. It really depends on what your priorities are, tasty fruit or attractive plants? They also may not like your climate, I don't know. But look beyond raspberries if you want an attractive berry patch, and I would add some perennials and non-fruiting shrubs to make it prettier. Good luck, and good eating!

• reyesuela
    13 years ago

I was warning AGAINST raspberries in such a scenario and generally against brambles, not "assuming" that the OP must mean that.

Remember that you'll want to get in next to them to harvest, and also that shade, even from another bush, will depress yield. Also, if you net it, there's only so attractive it CAN look.

Not trying to discourage you or anything, but you'll need to keep a lower yield in mind when making your plan and make sure you have pathways to the bushes. Also, something like a motion-activated sprinkler instead of netting might be a better option if you want something attractive.

• nancy0903
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have my heart set on raspberries - love them and so I may move the patch to a less prominent spot and build a fence with a netting top.

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

Dude, that picture above... neither attractive, nor berries. What gives?

To answer the OP, I'd recommend strawberries, but maybe also put some low but pretty ground cover type something under/around them... like creeping thyme or alyssum... or maybe even mint of some kind, if you want to keep it all edible.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I am also planning a berry patch with a natural look, alongside a dry stream bed, with contoured (not flat) edges. I figure a curved intermittent row of brambles will look better, although I may see more wildlife than berry yield.

Mulberries grow in a beautiful small weeping tree, and elderberries can have gorgeous black lacy foliage, like a black japanese maple.

I might also try a corkscrew hazelnut with red leaves and twisted branches for winter interest, but I get mixed info as to whether the pretty ones bear nuts or not.