Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjeliaz

Trees placement advice

kjeliaz
10 years ago

Hi folks,

Need some help deciding where and what trees to plant in my front yard. I feel a redbud would go nicely on the left but I would like also to get some shade at the driveway. House is facing East.
My concerns are that the tree must not block the house from the street, it should be a small-medium tree to scale with the house and proximity to driveway, and must not
drop fruits.
Any ideas?

Comments (4)

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Hello, kjeliaz. What time of day do you want the driveway shaded? Which part of the driveway is it most important to shade?

it should be a small-medium tree to scale with the house and proximity to driveway -- I'm sorry, but I don't understand what "and proximity to driveway" means in this context.

Can you give us some idea of where you live, and/or your USDA Plant Hardiness Zone, so we can recommend trees that will survive in your climate? If you're not sure what your zone is, you can enter your zipcode at the upper left here:
    http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Rather than looking only at trees, I suggest you need a complete landscape implementation, as the foundation planting seems unfriendly, oppressive and wounded.

As far as the trees go, you might use smaller trees near the house and larger trees at the street. The picture is a little too close-up and we can't grasp the overall lay of land, but your red arrows seem too close to the house to me. Definitely, the one on the right is too close to the drive.

To avoid blocking the view of the house, remove lower limbs from the trees as they grow. You should be able to see the house from below the canopy. It is easy enough to do on a routine basis while limbs are small.

• kjeliaz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    missingtheobvious: I am in zone 7a. "proximity to driveway" - I meant that the roots could be a problem if too close to driveway. I need the shade to protect the cars from the south. That would be left-hand side on the picture.
    Yardvaark: Thanks for noticing the foundation plants. I am in the process of redesigning these. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I have overhead power lines on my side of the street and large trees will be a problem. Besides, I do not want to wait too long for them to mature in height. In addition the whole front yard is not that big about 50x40.
    Will a small/medium tree give enough shade on the driveway given the afternoon sun is high during the summer?
    May be a tree that is more of a columnar shape? That way it will also not block too much the house.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

It's asking too much for people to understand that this, that or the other exists (power lines, small yard size, etc.) if it/they is/are outside of the picture's boundary. Those things could so easily be shown ... just back up a little more to take the picture so that these elements ARE SHOWN.

"May be a tree that is more of a columnar shape? That way it will also not block too much the house." While such trees usually make good "punctuation" in the landscape, usually you are trying to achieve other goals for which canopy trees do a better job. What's wrong with removing lower limbs to "not block too much of the house"? It's the normal, conventional way to maintain a view when trees would otherwise be in one's way.

The shade a tree gives depends a great deal on what species it is and therefore, the form it has.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting