Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deck help needed - prep and best product?

Posted by kjmama 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 22:06

I tried this on the deck forum and didn't get any responses... maybe here?

We just moved into a house and the deck needs help. It is a pressure treated pine. The folks before us put on a lowe's brand semi transparent, I think. It is peeling, looks kind of shiny in the covered parts. The exposed part of the deck is almost bare, it is greying.
SO - how do I prepare this deck for something new? And what is the best product to use? I would like to have the hardiest product out there. The exposed part takes a beating in the weather. I am thinking of a gray floor - semi transparent or solid.

Additionally, the rails are falling apart. I wanted to do a white rail. Would I be better to replace with vinyl rails? IF not, what can I do to the rails to make them white?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deck help needed - prep and best product?

Ok first things first, scape off everything that is peeling until you have a smooth surface. Otherwise where there is a ridge it will continue to peel. Next make sure the surface is clean and dry. Most deck paints last about 5 years. Just remember there are 6 sides to a cube and if you want the paint to protect you need to paint all of them. I'm not in favor of vinyl but that's just me. If they are falling apart then they need to be replaced. Better to do it now then fight with it for a few years and then end up replacing them anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here