Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Posted by alygal PacNW z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 22:12

Design question on Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

I won this lovely conifer in a plant raffle at a garden club meeting. It's fairly small now - in a 3-gallon pot. Have read up on it here in the conifer forum. Lots of conflicting information out on the 'net as to mature height ranging from 6' up to 20'.

My question is how to best place this small tree from a design point of view. I do have a large front yard, facing west but with afternoon shade from neighboring Doug Firs across the street.
I'm in the Portland metro area so no water worries.
I would like to place it in a side border where we could get close to it. It has lovely soft foliage that turns orange/rust in the fall. I would like to keep it on the columnar but narrow side (tight) which would require some pruning and according to the Conifer crowd that is indeed what many suggest.

I suppose I could keep it in a container for quite awhile, moving it around to find the best place for it.

Have any of you designers worked with this tree...your opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium distichum Peve Minaret from Colesville Nursery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

I first saw it in a container at Conesium Gardens in Washington. It was in a large container without a hole, in a wet condition.
Like conditions that Bald Cypress would grow.
In my PA Garden it grows quite fast.Mine is about 6 x3. I started in about 1-2 gal about 10 yrs ago. I would not prune it. Find a location that allows it to grow, If you need good information on how to grow conifers take a drive to Sandy Oregon http://www.porterhowse.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Idea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here