Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

help please on existing bed and shape

v1rt
15 years ago

Good evening everyone,

I made a bed about 2 or 3 months ago however, it looks just fine. I want to get some exercise this month since it's getting cold now. So I thought of correcting the shape of the bed will give me a really good exercise. Hehehe. :D

Anyways, can someone please point to me the error in the bed shape I made? What I am planning now is to extend the bed to the left as close as possible to the Comcast box. However, can someone please help me with the shape?

Hopefully, someone can post a topview drawing of a very corner bed design. That will surely help me a lot.

Oh, also, everytime I look at the end of the bed close to the garden hose on picture, I tell myself that something is not right. How do I really end a bed? My bed is pointy at the end and I think, that's the problem. Not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

{{gwi:37747}}

Comments (88)

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

"I was wrong with the measurement of variable H earlier. F if you recall is 23'. My math was incorrect. I should have added 8' to 23'. Correct H value is ~31'."

But 'F' was given to be 25.? Is it 8ft added to 23' or 25'? Correct 'H' distance 31' or 33'?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL. My eyes are very bad! I have to double check what I type. :D

I looked at the paper that I filled out. F is 25. So H is 33. LOL. I'm so sorry.

Should I make 'I' variable to 25' so that it matches F? Weather next week will be nice around 68F to 70F.

Apology for the confusion.

Thanks!

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

{{gwi:50134}}

It's clear you have an ability to draw with the computer. If you like the grid I use you can get a copy of the blank grid for your use from the thread linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawing the Plan. part 1

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome!

By the way, I went out and corrected the issue. The weather is awesome, around 70F today. It looks way way better now after moving the Juniper. The distance is the same as the other one, 25' and 7'. K is around 24' 9".

I will correct or adjust the bed in spring. It looks small. I was wrong with my measurement of the arch to corner.

Here are the new pics. Thank you so much for all your help!!! :D

What do you think about it now? :P hehehe

{{gwi:50135}}

{{gwi:50136}}

Birdhouse will definitely have to go and it's nearing foreclosure. HAHAHA!

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

Just a couple of details I wanted to mention regarding the perennial selection. Pls's design is well thought out but I would substitute garden phlox (Phlox panniculata) for the Dames Rocket. Dames Rocket is an overly aggressive biennial in our climate and can really out colonize many other less aggresive species. And the Delphiniums - although they do well for folks in other climates, they're most likely going to be a big disappointment for you in our tough N. IL clay soil and wet cold winters. You'd be better of substituting something else which mimics their shape such as Monkshood (Aconitum) or Baptisia australis.

One last thought - there's been some great advice from folks here but you will probably benefit even further by taking all this good and (I might add free advice) and paying someone for an onsite consultation. It's great to be a DIY and able to do some of the work yourself to save some cash but at some point you have to realize when you're in over your head and need to consult a professional. I think you are at this point.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up about agressiveness of phlox and also the Delphiniums.

About the design, I actually took used the plan I found from BHG's website. I'm fine with it. Whatever it comes out as, however it ends up, I'll be fine with that. :)

Honestly, at this point, I'm already happy with how it looks even if it's not finish yet. :)

Again, thanks for the heads-up. ;)

• prairiepaintbrush
    15 years ago

Let me just say that this is the most entertaining thread that I've read in a long time! LOL!

Virtuoso, where are you taking your photos from? Do you have a 4 story home? Lovely area, btw. I wish we had lush grass like that in Tejas.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone! :)

Hi prairiepaintbrush. I have a 2 story home. I took the picture from second floor. However, I placed my camera to the very top of window. :P

Here is a picture so you can see where I go to take the pic. The picture was taken July 4th this year on a cloudy day. The window where I took picture is the leftmost window.

{{gwi:50137}}

• annzgw
    15 years ago

This is an interesting thread and t's going to come in handy when I go to find a location for a young tree I purchased.

After seeing the picture taken from the corner, one can now see why a poster above mentioned the difficulty of planning from photos. Your yard takes on a totally different feel when viewed from the corner!

Also wanted to add that you need to make sure those newly planted evergreens get watered regularly until they're well established.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks annz for the watering advice. I gave them a 1g yesterday. Today, the rain was also heavy. I will water them again on Wednesday.

By the way, I have a question which I think I have not asked yet. Are the plants listed by BHG showstoppers? It's because, when I looked at the rating of Summer Cottage design again yesterday, it only had 3 stars. It's like average. If not, do you have other recommendation of what plants needs to be changed and what plant should be planted?

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

The camera seems to have a wide angle lens, warping the space more than usual. The clues of the photos give me a perception of the property and I often wonder how close my mental model is to the truth. Is it like this ...

{{gwi:50138}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi pls8xx,

Do you live close to my house? You almost got how our lot is divided. :D That drawing is amazing!!!

Anyways, the one-alone juniper on your drawing was corrected last week. The location is now the same as the other inner juniper. So it's like a perfect triangle now.

By the way, I bought 8 more arborvitaes and they are healthy with some minor browning but not as bad as the first one I planted. I have a question though. If you look at my previous plan, the arborvitaes are in straight line and shape in letter L. Most hedges are in straight line too. However, I would like to know if it's nice. It's because, I saw a house in the neighborhood specifically his backyard, he's got 8 arborvitaes that are like 15' high. It's really nice. However, it's not in straight line. it's like zigzag or cris cross.

So I would like to know if I should cris-cross the arborvitaes too.

Oh nore more, does arborvitaes produce new leaves?

Thanks,

Neil

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what I meant. Which one looks proper/nicer?

{{gwi:50139}}

or

oops, I forgot one arborvitae on the drawing :)

{{gwi:50140}}

• misslucinda
    15 years ago

You are looking to create a hedge as a backdrop for your perennials and buxus so I would think you want to keep them linear as in the original HG photo you and your wife so admired.

One sees evergreens staggered when they are used as screening alone.

Pls8xx gave you such valuable feedback I am going to have to go and reread this thread to see if I can't absorb a bit more of it.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

All evergreens drop some of their foliage every year, usually in the fall, but sometimes in spring too. Don't be concerned if you notice some brown, dead leaves on arborvitaes at the same time the deciduous trees and shrubs are coloring up and dropping leaves in the fall. A normal reddish-brown discoloration occurs on branches closest to the trunk. Subsequent leaf drop may occur annually or every second or third year - but again, close to the trunk.

However, if brown foliage appears at other times of the year or on leaf tips, the plant may have spider mites, be suffering from an environmental problem, or have been badly taken care of at your place of purchase.

Evergreen trees with a small amount of needle loss may still have live buds within the damaged branch sections. These buds will send out new growth and eventually fill in the damaged section in a few years.

I have some arborvitae that were badly deer browsed last winter; they've been eaten well into the plant's dead zone - there will be no recovery from ground level to about the 6' mark. Luckily, they're semi hidden so can be taken out at my leisure.

Are you snapping up "bargains" without paying attention to the general appearance/appearance of health of your purchases? Although end of season shop worn blooming perennials many times make it through the winter to become nice additions to the garden, cheap but half dead trees and shrubs can pan out to be no bargain at all.

You seem to be rushing headlong into completing a landscape in one fell swoop, but I fear you'll be starting over again in the spring.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I asked my wife again and she really likes it in a linear pattern. Today, I planted all the 8 arborvitaes. I wasn't able to take a pic since it was already dark. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

I think the arborvitaes I bought today are all healthy. Hopefully they will make it. I also learned that first year is very critical for the Emeralds. I shouldn't let them dry out.

Why did you say this? Don't they make new branches?

there will be no recovery from ground level to about the 6'

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi pls8xx,

I noticed on your last drawing specifically the North with the arrow label, it was pointing to the wrong position. Actually, my house is facing east. If you look at my earlier drawings above, I have a label for WEST and NORTH. That's the only thing that was incorrect, other parts were correct. :)

Here is the image I posted last year.

{{gwi:27696}}

taken from my thread from this link

Here is another shot taken from Google Maps.
    {{gwi:50142}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As promised, here are the pictures. I took it this morning at 8am. I also took another picture angle from the middle bedroom. I'm very glad that my wife likes it so much. Most of the time, she complains but this time, she said she likes it a lot. She actually wants to buy more. LOL.

{{gwi:50143}}

{{gwi:50144}}

{{gwi:50145}}

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

I usually don't make such a blatant error in property orientation. I must have been having a very bad day. And I notice from the google map that my estimation of 80 by 135 for the lot is more like 75 by 150. I missed the location of the trees behind the house by about 10 ft, but I got the house footprint almost exact. Which goes to show why design from photos is not a great way to control the project. You didn't comment on the contours and slope from my drawing.

The whole point of doing a plan is to evaluate all the possibilities and make all the mistakes on paper and then do the construction right the first time. But even a good plan will fail if it is not implemented with some level of precision. Which is an impossibility if the plan is not a scaled drawing.

For a homeowner looking for help with his own project, there is much to be learned in this thread. One principle of landscape design is a balance to the size of separate areas of the property. When working on the ground, homeowners almost never get it right because all they see is the small part that currently has their attention. On a paper plan they do much better. I call attention to the drawing that v1rtu0s1ty did last year. Note the size of the planting area in the left back corner of the yard. It is big enough to be a significant element to the landscape as compared to the remaining space of the yard. Without a plan most homeowners will make this border much too shallow.

But that drawing from last year was not a scaled work. It's a nice concept graphic but not a plan. There is nothing there that can be implemented, and it wasn't. When we compare the location of the plants shown on the google map, the trees behind the house are in a place that won't work with the future patio.

A scaled plan is important to good landscape design. It's best to have a comprehensive plan of the whole property. A homeowner can do it. And the implementation of the plan is just as important as the plan itself.

duluthinbloomz4 said "You seem to be rushing headlong into completing a landscape in one fell swoop, but I fear you'll be starting over again in the spring."

I agree. I think you are merely using the drawings to document what you have done rather than as a guide to what you will do. I suggest you stop long enough to get an up to date drawing of the whole back yard as it presently is and then complete a full plan of the future work.

You may find that you want to move the apple to accommodate the patio. And the trellis on the concept plan is pointed to frame the house behind yours. You might want to shift it to point between houses.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

there will be no recovery from ground level to about the 6'

I was referring to my own arborvitaes - the deer ate them well in close to the trunk. They cannot regenerate new branches with this kind of damage - there are no buds left to spark new growth.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, my openbsd firewall crashed last Friday night which prevented me from accessing the internet. It's just yesterday that I was able to fix everything.

You didn't comment on the contours and slope from my drawing.
    You hit the nail right on the head! ;) Your contours drawing were correct.

I call attention to the drawing that v1rtu0s1ty did last year. Note the size of the planting area in the left back corner of the yard. It is big enough to be a significant element to the landscape as compared to the remaining space of the yard. Without a plan most homeowners will make this border much too shallow.

When you said "big enough", was it bad or good? I'll post a pic later of the left corner. Everytime I look at it, I think the bed is too thin. I would like to add 3 to 4 more ft to the width. I think my drawing last year and the bed I created wasn't really the same since it didn't have a scale.

A scaled plan is important to good landscape design. It's best to have a comprehensive plan of the whole property. A homeowner can do it. And the implementation of the plan is just as important as the plan itself.

I should have known you last year. :) I am very glad/ecstatic with all the help you have given to me especially the scaling and placements of the Summer Cottage BHG plan on the corner.

Also, please let me know what areas I need to fix? For the right corner bed, it will be corrected next year to accomodate Summer Cottage BHG design.

What else do you see that I should correct? I actually hate the shape of the circle bed around my crabapple and sunburst honeylocust. I would like to change it in such a way that it will WOW us. What are your suggestions?

Thanks again for your help! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

as promised from the previous post, here are the pics.

{{gwi:50146}}

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn134/s1mpl3k1d/backyard20081013pic2.jpg

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ooops... :)

{{gwi:50147}}

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

"I call attention to the drawing that v1rtu0s1ty did last year. Note the size of the planting area in the left back corner of the yard. It is big enough to be a significant element to the landscape as compared to the remaining space of the yard. Without a plan most homeowners will make this border much too shallow.

When you said "big enough", was it bad or good? I'll post a pic later of the left corner. Every time I look at it, I think the bed is too thin. I would like to add 3 to 4 more ft to the width. I think my drawing last year and the bed I created wasn't really the same since it didn't have a scale.

Take a sheet of paper and use a pen to make a small mark on it. The mark becomes an imperfection that mars the paper. Make the mark larger and it becomes an aberration. Keep enlarging the mark and at some point it becomes an element unto itself; something that belongs and justifies its own existence. How large the mark has to get to achieve status depends on how large the parer is.

Think of a room with furniture. If it is a large room and the furniture takes up only 15% of the floor space it will look vacant. If the room is small and the furniture takes up 70% of the floor space it will look crowded.

What I'm saying is that if you see the relative size on paper, you will, by instinct, get a reasonable ratio. The same principle applies whether it's marks on paper, rooms of furniture, or a landscape. You don't need years of study to understand this, a natural instinct will carry the day.

But, the amateur setting plants in the yard often does not see the whole of the landscape and thus the natural instinct is not engaged.

Looking back to the drawing v1rtu0s1ty did last year we can see that the bed in the left corner is generous compared to the whole of the back yard and not drawn as a narrow strip along the lot boundary. His natural instinct is at play. But the drawing is a concept, not a plan. So there is no way to derive measurements from the drawing to use in implementing the concept on the ground.

In the graphic below I have taken the google image and outlined in black the features as they were actually located on the ground. I then overlay the concept plan warped to fit the real space. One can see that the actual is not a good implementation of the concept. And now v1rtu0s1ty feels the bed should be extended a few more feet. Should he do so, the actual will be much closer to the original concept.

{{gwi:50148}}

The point I'm trying to make is that a scaled plan, carefully implemented, will help the homeowner get it right the first time.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pls8xx! :)

I will redraw everything on a grid paper. I will also measure the distances of all my plants and trees. This way, I will be able to put them where they are really situated on the grip paper.

Hopefully, I will be able to post it today. :)

Thanks again!!!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok. Here are the latest measurements. I did my best to get as accurate as possible. Please let me know what I should fix such as making the bed wider and I will be very happy to fix it in spring.

Also, I'm thinking of combining the left and right bed to make them as one. I don't like the gap near the Comcast box.

Oh, when I was doing the measurement, I stopped for a while and looked at the 3 viburnums. I really hate how I positioned them last year. It's linear. How do I fix them? What are your suggestions folks?

And yes, the left bed near the lilacs are thin. Should I make it wider?

Here it is.

{{gwi:50149}}

Thanks again! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does this look more appropriate? Is the size good enough for the dimension of my backyard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is an update, hehehehe :D

After making the new bed dimensions, I decided to hacked the original left bed picture using Photoshop. I thought that by putting the real plants, I would be able to appreciate it better.

So, I took some perennial pictures from the internet and super-imposed them. Earlier, my wife doesn't want me to widen the bed but when I showed this to her, she gave me a GO signal. WOOHOO!!!

{{gwi:50150}}

• rhodium
    15 years ago

For the larger bed width on the left side of the yard near the fence, I am glad to see the wavey bedlines disappear in your latest revision. No need to mimic the wavey top of the fence behind the bed, as you are striking out on your own dynamic direction.

BTW- beautiful grass in your neighborhood!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So as much as possible, reduce as much wave/arc shape, right?

About the lawn, looks like the weather in IL is perfect for our lawn.

Actually, mine doesn't look good. I haven't put any organic fertilizer as compared to last year. And also, I stopped watering it and my last watering was June 12.

I was usually insane about lawn care before but I noticed that lawn isn't the part that will make a garden beautiful. So I decided not to spend money on them anymore.

I'm going to a nursery later to check for some perennials for the left bed. Hopefully, I'll get a good deal.

By the way, do you have any suggestion about the 3 red viburnums behind my playset?

Also, what can you say about latest picture where I superimposed some perennials? My eyes and wifeys' tell us it's nice. However, we aren't sure if our eyes are correct.

Oh, and yes, I will definitely move the playset.

Thanks!

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

That is a nice photo concept, one of many you may want to consider. But please don't go buy plants just yet.

You are close to having a pro level base map. There are only a few corrections, checks and additions needed. Refer to the graphic below. The house footprint needs correcting as shown in red. The total lot width at the house adds up to 78.33ft (11+42+15+10.33), while the back property line is scaled at 80ft. Check by measuring total lot width at both places and adjust the drawing as needed.

Most of the plants seem to be drawn in the right location with the possible exception of the three along the back line. Check their measurements as shown by the red lines.

Measure the locations of the four swing support legs and the slide end by the method shown in blue. Spot these on the drawing and sketch in playground equipment from addition measurements.

{{gwi:50151}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool!

We can remove the playset in picture. I will move them in spring to give more space for the bed.

About the lot dimension, I got the 80' value from our property's blue print which came from the builder. My side measurement could be wrong since the north side is an open lot and the edge of my grass is dead. So I might have lost some good grass.

I will re-measure the short north wall since I forgot that part.

I will also measure the 3 small trees again. Right now, they're in linear form. My eyes aren't happy when I always see them. They're beautiful though. I'm really happy everytime I see the zigzag pattern on the lilacs.

Ok, I won't buy plants then :D I'm just so in love with the Spiraea japonica 'Goldflame'. I have spireas in front but now the goldflame, just the normal green ones.

Thank you so much!!! :)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the corrected version. About the plants, I forgot that it's too late to plant here. I haven't also created the bed. LOL. :) I will buy the plants early next year.

{{gwi:50152}}

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

Good job.

If you remember back up this thread I posted a contour drainage graphic which you confirmed. If I am right, the ground at your lower back corner is rather flat with the drainage going onto the adjacent lot to the north.

There is the possibility that when this lot gets developed some fill or grading might occur near this common lot corner. If the land is flat, it will take only a small rise in ground level there to cause a wet spot to develop on your property. In most areas it is an unlawful act to back up water on another's property by blocking a natural flow.

Should this happen, you will want to object. The problem is that the other lot owner or builder is going to say you always had a wet spot and that the problem hasn't been caused by the new grading.

Now is the time to document the current grading and drainage in a way that can prove a grading change has occurred in the future.

Here is what I suggest. Watch where and how excess water leaves your lot the next time it rains. Later use a long board laid with one end on your lot and the other end well onto the other lot along the line of water flow. Set a level on the board. The level should show that the end on the other lot is lower than your yard. Prop up the lower end so that the level reads horizontal. Use a camera to take a picture such that the plants at the corner of your yard are in the field of view to the side, the board with level is in the center and the vacant lot is in the background. Take a close-up photo of the level bubble. Write a short narrative of what was done, the measured amount the lower end of the board was propped up, and date it. Store these documents with your important papers.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will do.

Here is another info that I can share. The grading going from south to north is going down. I remember 2-3 years ago that when 4 houses close together(our street side) were being built, the foundation is like a staircase pattern. The foundation on the southmost was the highest and north of it is lower, and so on.

Also, every Wednesday here, the village flushes the fire hydrant. The water goes down from south to north.

I haven't seen any puddling at the point where our backyard meets the neighbor's backyard and so with the rest of the backyards south of me.

But yes, I will document everything. :)

Thanks again!

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

You are at the point in the process where several copies of the base map should be made. One of the copies should be developed as a reference document containing utility locations and also the legal issues that apply to the property.

Legal issues are of two sorts; limitations of your use of the lot, such as building setback lines, and second, easements or other rights that others hold to enter and use a part of your property.

Utilities may need maintenance or repair. In new construction this is not likely in the near future but in older areas this should get more consideration. In short, don't plant 200 hybrid tea roses in a 70 year old sewer easement.

Know where your house utilities run across the lot. Determine the logical location at the house where utilities could be taped to extend into the yard; in the future you might want a sprinkler system, lights, or utilities for an outdoor kitchen. Don't block a future use with a design element. Install under ground sleeves where needed.

Draw all this information on one of the base maps and refer to it often in design.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some of the common homeowner mistakes make that might apply to you ...

1. Planting a tree over or under a utility. (Where is your house sewer?)

It's in front of the house. The gas lines are also in front.

2. Planting a tree at an elevation that is not compatible with a future hardscape element. (Will there be a patio? at what elevation? Grade and drainage?)

About the patio's elevation, from most of the patios I have seen in our area and also my last patio, it was just a little above the level of the grass close to the house. They usually put 4 inch gravel, 2 inch sand then the paver bricks. They remove about 7 to 8 inches deep of dirt.

However, I'm thinking of stamped concrete patio. My wife and I still haven't decided yet.

Do you have any suggestion for the shape of the patio? I want to include a pergola because it's so hot during summer. At least, it can provide a little shade. I like this {{gwi:50111}}.

3. Planting a tree that shades steps or drives in winter or fails to shade at the right place and time during a hot summer.

4. Failure to make a needed soil amendment at planting. Example: Some trees have a root structure that tends to run above the soil surface. This habit is aggravated by compacted soil and can often be mitigated by making the top two inches of the soil very permeable with a mix of 70% sand.

That's a very cool tip!!! I have a question though. Most of my neighbor's bed are high. They put more dirt. Do I also have to make my beds like that?

To avoid these errors, complete your plan.

Will do. Where can I find some nice ideas about pergolas, trellis, patios? Look at {{gwi:50112}}, it's very simple.

I'm including a picture of the whole north side of my house. This way, you can see the grading from front to back. The middle(where the house is) is the highest level. You will also see how much topsoil was added by the builder. I took the picture from the open lot which doesn't have the added topsoil.

Warning, wide image.
    {{gwi:50113}}

Also, here is the latest garden plan, version 6. I've added a color green broken line that JULIE marked last year. I remember seeing 3 or 4 different colors of flag. That's the only area they marked.

{{gwi:37820}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, this is the correct wide panoramic picture.
    {{gwi:50114}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

...just an update folks

Day 3 of bed widening :) I took advantage of the perfect weather. We were above 50F the past 3 days. Now, we're back to high 30s.

Hopefully, it gets warm again soon so I can continue digging. :D

{{gwi:50153}}

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

You have done a wonderful job with a small lot and huge homes overlooking your yard. New subdivisions are the pits, arent they?

I would suggest your spend the big bucks and get at least one large Oak tree planted near your lot line. Perhaps a white pine too.
    I planted Swamp white oak, because it was a wet area, and
    Sentinel Maples (tall, narrow), and River birches and
    tall shrubbery (chicago luster Virburnum). My back yard, which was a wave in a sea of blank back yards, is now a wooded sanctuary and so private. (10 years later)
    I can send photos if you are interested.

Good going, and keep up the good work.
    Pondy

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pondwelr! :)

I worked on the opposite side today! I'm going to continue tomorrow. Need some rest :D

{{gwi:50154}}

• nycynthias
    15 years ago

This is the most interesting thread! Great job so far on the new beds--they're looking much more in proportion to the space, and I can really visualize a lush, beautiful garden setting in your yard!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm very thankful and blessed because a lot of people helped me here. I had some design ideas but I found out that my design were somewhat incorrect until GW design members helped me here. Without you folks, I'm not sure how it will look. Hahaha! :D

I am really amazed by the knowledge that they have shared to me and especially the plant coordinates, that is just simply amazing!!! :D

You ALL rock!!! ;)

Everyone, thank you so much again! I'll work on the bed again next week since it's a bit cold right now.

• kcinpa
    15 years ago

This is a fantastic thread!!! Thank you for posting the continual updates.

I am getting ready to create a master plan for our new home and this thread is very helpful!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the latest pics. I added a new bed in front. Also widened the south bed beside my house. I think, I only have 220-250 sqft left to dig. It includes the west bed(behind playset) and a new bed which I haven't started yet. It will be in front too.

I've already planted some ornamental grass, h. annabelles, day lilies, sedum, and spireas. Some plants came from bed near front porch since they're overcrowded.

{{gwi:50155}}

{{gwi:50156}}

{{gwi:50157}}

{{gwi:50158}}

{{gwi:50159}}

{{gwi:50160}}

West bed
    {{gwi:50161}}

{{gwi:50162}}

I'll post more pics after I complete the remaining beds.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I almost forgot to update this thread.

Reference picture are from my last post.

This one is the same as the last sephia picture above.
    {{gwi:50163}}

{{gwi:50164}}

close-up
    {{gwi:50165}}

Same as above but I stood on the other side.
    {{gwi:50166}}

This one is the same as 6th sephia picture.
    {{gwi:50167}}

{{gwi:50168}}

{{gwi:50169}}

This one is the same as the 1st or 3rd sephia picture. Looks like I should widen this bed 1 or 2 more ft.
    {{gwi:50170}}

different angles
    {{gwi:50171}}

{{gwi:50172}}

Same as 2nd sephia picture.
    {{gwi:50173}}

This one is same as 7th picture which is the west bed.
    {{gwi:50174}}

This bed is the same as 5th picture.
    {{gwi:50175}}

More pics here
    Early June 2009
    Mid June 2009
    July 2009

I'll do my best to create an August Garden Update. :)

Oh, I will be creating more beds hopefully early October or maybe next year. :P

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I'm not one of the pros here, but I think your flowers look wonderful. You have done a good job of making your home standout and your neighbors are lucky to share the view. I especially like the side bed near the ac unit and your front beds. I love it when people follow-up to show their progress since I missed all the October 2008 discussion the first time around. Keep the pictures coming!

Cynthia

• catkim
    14 years ago

Would you happen to have a straight-on photo of the full front of your house? It looks very nice, I'd like to see how you laid it out in more detail.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cyn427/catkim,

I'm so sorry, I wasn't able to get back with you. It's just now that I saw that I had a post on this thread. Am really sorry.

I did have an August pics :)
    Garden Update for August 2009

I have an update. I made my left side front bed larger from 5 ft long to 18-20 ft long today. This way, I can put more plants. My theme here would be color blue/red/lavender flowers, hopefully!

{{gwi:50176}}

{{gwi:50177}}

I'll take pictures again when the plants starts to flaunt! LOL! :)

catkim,

I'll do my best to take a pic of the front of the house sometime mid June.

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

learned a ton about planning from this thread - thanks!! update the photos if you get a chance!