Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rip out old fireplace put in electric

Posted by DIY_GUY_419 none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 0:21

We have a huge family room, 17x25. It has a high ceiling, about 17 ft i believe,

Any how, there is a wood burner fireplace in it that I just don't use and would rather have gas.

It used to have a 20 inch high hearth in front of it (I ripped it out),

We want to put in a gas fireplace at ground level, built into the wall.

I made a sketch up, sorry using MS Paint. And I think the dimesions maybe off. But anyhow, what do you guys suggest?

How much are we looking at?

I was at a local Fireplace store and he showed me some electric fireplaces as well that you can run with a 240w line. Anyone try those?

Should we go direct vent, or b-vent?

Waiting for all your awesome replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rip out old fireplace put in electric

Are you looking for simple ambiance or real heat producing capabilities?

o

Ambiance. I know the heat output Is weak. I was wondering What everyone's opinion is. Should we go with no mantle? What kind of face should we put around the fireplace, if any?

Any input would be helpful.

o

The more info you provide the better the answers you will receive.
As in what style is your home, the room, the lifestyle you lead? A cottage style home would have a far different aesthetic than a modern.

Also, this is the Landscape design forum- I'd suggest that you head over to home decorating where there is no scarcity of opinion :)
Link below-

Here is a link that might be useful: Home decor forum

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 11:42

Proportions matter, and the tiny little box you show is out of proportion to the size of the room. It has the proportions of a wall heater in a bathroom, small and insignificant. A fireplace should have some degree of presence if you desire ambience. Even a very modern and minimalist fireplace will have more visual impact than your sketch implies.

o

Hi there, if you want really strong supplemental heat, I would go for an infrared electric fireplace, they usually provide more heat than a regular electric fireplace. You can get a larger insert, say 33", and get it with a trim kit to answer your question about what kind of "face" you want to put around it. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Fireplace Inserts and Trim Kit Bundles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here