Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modern_miss

How to beautify a man-made culvert?

modern_miss
10 years ago

I have drainage culvert in my yard (see attached photo).
I don't like the way it looks...Any thoughts on how I could improve upon it? Should I plant around the rocks to try to hide the drain? Should I get rid of the rocks? Should I cover the rocks with dirt and plant over them? During storms in the winter months, water will gush up and out of the drain creating a small creek. It is bone dry during the summer months. The exposure is full sun.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I would not cover the rocks with soil. But if you get rid of weeds (and keep them out) in an area around the outside of the rocks, and plant something low and vining that will act as a groundcover, you could cover the whole apparatus with greenery. As maintenance, you could keep vegetation trimmed (or herbicided) back from directly over the grate.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    10 years ago

I'd spray paint the white part dark brown to help hide it. It sticks out and catches the eye as it is. Min

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Good point. I love the things that cheap paint can do.

• modern_miss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right. The white part is concrete. I wonder whether paint would adhere to it. I guess I'll check at the hardware store. Thanks for the idea!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

you can paint the concrete. I painted my patio floor and it held up great. The problem though would be with the water might loosen it. There is always concrete stain.

So I wonder why water flows out of it and not into it. Just from the looks of it I thought it was a drain. Just curious.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

If you decide to paint it, I'd recommend using camouflage paint if there's a color that works for you. I've used the dark brown on small rocks that for one reason or another I don't want to be seen. It's very flat and blends well with dirt. The dark green blends well with plants, so I'd use that option if you end up growing vines there.

I've used the dark brown on cement blocks and it adhered fine. I can't say I've given it a long, weather-exposed test, though to see how it will wear. But it's easy to touch up.