Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I find a landscape designer or architect?

Posted by jxbrown z10/24 SD, CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 3:49

I love to garden, but i'm not so great with design. We have a new house that needs a big backyard makeover (giant melaleucas snuggled up against the house, a raised and rotting deck that was concealing the concrete foundation of a hot tub, and overgrown and boring, boring, boring clipped hedges and bright green overwatered grass). Our realtor recommended a popular local LA who wants to design a big stone and stainless steel barbecue island decorated in the usual way with iceberg roses, lavendar, and agapanthus. Do I push this guy to give me what I want or do I find somebody who will give me a small patio and help me lay out my favorite natives and Mediterraneans? How do I find this person? The neighborhood that we live in has mostly tiny and typically landscaped yards so the neighbors wouldn't be much help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I find a landscape designer or architect?

You find someone who will give you what you want. You might check your state's organization for landscape design and installation professionals. In Colorado, for example, it's the ALCC, Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado. The organization has a list of members that may be posted online. That would be a starting point for you. You could also check ASLA, the Assocation of Landscape Architects. A landscape architect will likely be more expensive than a landscape designer. But if your project is relatively simple with no major drainage issues or tall retaining walls, a landscape design and build company could probably handle your project.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 15:21

I suggest you contact the San Diego Horticultural Society and attend a few of their meetings. Network a bit with the members and you'll probably get some decent recommendations.

o

there is tons of talent in your area.
I also second catkims recommendation to check out the local hort society.

off hand, I've been enjoying the work that local San Diego designer Debra Carl has been posting to the Houzz.com website.

she's quite talented : http://www.deboracarl.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: deb carl's website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here