Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get the equipment to create a fountain

Posted by nardell2002 none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 3:50

I have a pond in my backyard and I would like to decorate it with some kind of water fountain. Can anyone tell me where to buy the equipment to create a pond fountain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get the equipment to create a fountain

I hear that Neiman Marcus is having a fire sale on fountains.... if you happen to have $1,000,000 on the side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fountain from Neiman Marcus

o

McCormick Place, Chicago's big expo center, has (or at least used to have) programmed fountains in front of its main (?) entrance. There were some inside too. Unfortunately, the last time I saw them they weren't all working properly.

Spent many a stressful hour there over the years, wandering through exhibit halls.

o

We have used this company for our swimming pool fountains - high quality nozzles
I like the adjustable swivel heads. makes adjusting the arc a pc. of pie.
http://www.fountaincomponents.com/c-20-cascade-fountain-nozzles.aspx

From Pools

From Pool and Garden Project - The Napa Valley

From Water fountains in the landscape

For rain curtains we use Oreq. ( it use to be called Custom Cascades) stilll good quality and prices. The unit shown below came with a LED strip light in the plexi glass. It is not illuminated in this photo.
http://oreqcorp.com/features/index.asp

From San Francisco Garden Show 2008

This uses a simple bubbler. Parts can be found at a local hardware or irriagation store. I suggest a ball valve to adjust water flow. The water comes out the top of the swirl and cascades down.
This wasnt a project that I designed . I was one of 3 sculptors who work on the project.
It is a public piece.

©

o

I love the look of any moving water in the landscape but what I hear is not always calming. To me, a strong cascade sounds like a horse peeing, a dribble is some poor fellow with a bad prostate and a drip means I have to fix the kitchen sink. Bubblers though are a heavenly noise to me. I really appreciate the design of that last fountain of yours, d-d - visual, aural and probably tactile as well.

o

Adriennemb,
I hear ya.
Personally I like a little bit of sound in a water feature. Just enough to provoke the senses in a calming way - not in a 'get me to a toilet way' .

This water feature below uses bubblers and has had the dubious distinction of being called a bidet . I can see that.

Part bidet and part sprinkler - this bubbler offer subtle noise.

From Sculpture For S.F. Project.

My all time favorite water feature is not located out door but in the swanky bathrooms of Bardessoano Resort in Yountville CA.
LINK - http://www.bardessono.com/photo_gallery.php#../images/photo_gallery/1.jpg
By the photo of the control panel below can you tell that I was inspired when designing the oudoor bidet water sculpture ?
You never know where inspiration will strike.
Such an exciting array of options !
And the seat was heavenly warm.

From Napa Valley Day Trip

Neorest : Toilets for the rich and famous who like to pamper their butts.

o

That looks exciting michelle although I might have to pass on the oscillating option.

A trick I have used on water sound I borrowed from the Japanese tradition there it has a name but I can't recall it (Audric will know). What you do is bury an upturned bowl beneath the spot where the water lands. The effect is that the bowl offers an echo and this deepens the sound dispelling any pee pee urges. Another trick if the water runs under a bridge or some other cover is to place copper pipe across the flow.

o

Was Suikinkutsu the Japanese name? Geez guys you're making me hungry for a water feature even tho I don't have an appropriate spot for it! (High up on a sand dune, no natural bodies of water found here. Folks living downhill have all those lovely natural ponds and streams, tiny watermills and whatnot, but then they also have mosquitos). Maybe I'll set up a shower, my hose offers 4 nozzle options, one of them has to feel good...

o

timbu, I saved a link the last time suikinkutsu was discussed. One of those lovely garden ideas I'll never get around to doing....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikinkutsu

o

Thanks Missing! My husband's into constructing weird music-making gadgets, this could be his next project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here