Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsweeding

Show me your clotheslines

needsweeding
9 years ago

I've got a perfectly good clothesline that needs to be relocated, but I can't imagine where to put it, or how to arrange it, so that it doesn't look like an eyesore (other than putting it in the back paddock, too far way to use) - so I'm looking for ideas of how other people have resolved this and integrated the clothesline into their landscape

Show me your clotheslines!!

Thanks, needsweeding

Comments (12)

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Have 4 ropes across half of the back yard, from the house to the poles. Been there for 60 years, never come down. Doesn't bother me a bit, it's part of the 'landscape". Guests like to use it too. Others wish they had outdoor lines. It's not too complicated to put up a rope?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

try Pinterest -- so many ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: clotheslines

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

How serious are you about this?

Things to consider: are you going to use this four seasons? If so, you need to know where sun shines in winter (it's different patterns of shade between summer and winter, and drying in winter takes longer, but it helps if there's sunlight hitting the clothesline.)

Do you have a rainy season? If you have moist grass that stays moist, you might be better off putting the clothes line over a driveway, patio or even over carefully spaced pavers.

You'd rather have the clothes line where there are no trees overhanging because of bird droppings.

The closer to your washing machine, the more likely you are to use the clothes line.

In some climates, I've found that sheets line dry faster than dryers do the job.

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    9 years ago

Here ya go...my place in Australia.

• needsweeding
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I failed to mention I have a "Hills Hoist" which has a central pole that gets concreted into the ground.

Violet: Thanks so much for the link - those pics are very helpful - there was one that used an old birdbath plinth to disguise the central pole - that's worth looking into!

Anntn6b, some very thoughtful questions. It would be used year-round except on rainy days and keeping it close to the washing machine is part of the dilemma.

Old Fixer - I guess I was looking for suggestions and ideas that would make the clothesline look more landscaped, but you are right, after a while you don't see them.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

My clothes line is one of those dog leashes that run out about 30 feet. (About $6.) I hook each end to an existing post (that is there for other purposes.) When not being used, it's non-existent.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Wow, Australia would need an ATV to get the clothes way out there. :) I also have lines in the basement, used quite frequently. Next to the wringer washer.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

post a pic if you get one up!

• rosiew
    9 years ago

I've been grinning here, remembering the trick I pulled on myonceuponahusband. Had a washer and clothesline. Second child born in February, 17 months after first. Cloth diapers, lots and lots daily. Came home from the hospital, felt wonderful, but stayed in bed. After TWO days of hanging diapers, said onceupona called and ordered a dryer, which was installed the next day. Only then did I get up and resume my normal routine, sans hanging outside. Love a clothesline. Don't want it to be my only option.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Don't count on it to stay upright in a wind once clothes are hung. Needs secure anchoring.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wow, that's a lot of complicated lines. Reminds me of a maypole!