Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering bushes for new garden

Posted by paulheels SC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 8:14

I have the opportunity to begin a new garden at the front of my house. I have some roses planted there now, but they will get moved. I would like some suggestions on flowering shrubs. I have looked at some camellias and tea olive.
I already have some azaleas planted. I wold like to get the garden so that I have some early blooming and late bloomers. The tea olive will be for frgrance, probably my most favorite smell in the world.
If yall can provide me a little help and suggestions, I would appreciate it. My shrub knowledge is lacking.

Thank You

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering bushes for new garden

Paul, can you post a picture that shows the overall space so we can see the parameters and conditions?

o
RE: Flowering bushes for new garden

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 20:43

The Osmanthus fragrans is a great choice of shrub, but give it room as they get big. I'd recommend Sasanqua Camellias as a better landscape shrub than C. japonicas. Daphne odora marginata is another good fragrant early winter blooming shrub. If this garden area is dappled shade below pines, I'd also recommend using some good foliage shrubs such as Aucuba japonica variegata and foliage plants such as Mahonia lomariifolia as tall background or accent plants. For summer fragrance, I really like Trachelospermum jasminoides and mock oranges/Philadelphia spp's. Summer fragrance might be achieved with plantings of Tuberose and Lilies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here