Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Retaining Wall, mortar? base concrete?

Posted by friscomike TX (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 8:33

We recently got a quote from a landscaper that says base concrete and mortar is pointless in Texas. It will crack/heave and not last. She wants to just go down a couple of inches and shape/cut the chop blocks so that fit nice together. One, I think the price is high for such an approach, but that aside, she said it with some diligence the Bermuda can be kept out with trimming and periodic spray. She said base concrete and mortar will also not keep out the grass.

I'm not convinced that a properly done base will not last without cracking and I believe will keep out the grass. Any thoughts on the best approach?

Thanks, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Retaining Wall, mortar? base concrete?

I don't know about where you live but I have a couple of comments.

Bermuda grass has deep rhizomes, much like our quack grass. In order to keep it out of where you don't want it to grow, you have to put a barrier deep and wide enough to keep the rhizomes from going under it or crawling through small cracks. That barrier can be anything--stone, metal or cement.

I heard about cement basements crumbling after a while in Texas, because of the dryness of the soil. Is this true in your area?

Those are my comments and all I can add

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here